Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Your State ? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
In your state, or province, or county, if you pick up a dead wild animal on your property and claim it as your own do you legally own it? Or to put it another way, if a wild animal dies of natural causes on your property do you then have a property interest in it?

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
In Arizona you need call Game & Fish to report it, and they will most likely allow you to keep it....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This doesn't fall under the heading of "your own property", but I'm curious if the guys in Texas can tell me if things have changed. I had a mechanic travel to a rig down by Ozona about thirty years ago. He came upon a doe that had been hit by a truck. It was still kicking when he pulled up. Damage to head, but body in good shape. He threw her in the bed of his truck. Unfortunately, he got stopped later for speeding, and he came out several hundred dollars lighter, and several hours late trying to explain what had happened.

The "law" told him to leave it next time. It was out of season. For all they knew he shot it in the head then ran over the head to destroy evidence of poaching. They weren't very sympathetic back then.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still can't pick up a game animal on the side of the road w/o the game warden's permission.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote