Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shaving soap Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Anyone shave with a safety razor or straight razor? I started to use a safety razor a few months ago and just used shaving soap for the first time. I was skeptical as I was brushing it on. But, I got a great shave and am now sold on. The soap is basic Van der Hagen you can buy at most stores. After the fact I see it is rated pretty high.

Anyone have a favorite shaving soap?

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twall, I was like you. I decided to put my Braun electric shavers down after 30 years and pick up a safety razor. I really like it. I use Trumper shave cream, and a nice badger brush.

I contacted Royal Shave and ordered everything from them. I got a blade sampler but ended up liking the Feather blades best. Real sharp. I also use a block of alum to tighten pores and nicks.

Check out Royal Shave and West Coast Shaving. Both in California.

The only downside is the TSA doesn't allow safety razors or straight razors in your carry on bag. I take disposable Gillette Mach 3 razors and travel sized shave cream containers when just carry on. If I'm checking a bag, I'll pack the safety razor and larger cream if needed.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCG,

I haven't tried the Feather blades yet. I have bought a couple different kinds locally. They are so cheap I bought enough to last about a year without knowing they would last that long.

I haven't cut myself so far. As my wife said, 'you have been shaving the same face for 40 years!' I have noticed a little pink on the razor as I rinsed it a couple of times, I just shaved a little skin off as opposed to nick/cut.

I sort of look forward to shaving on the mornings I shave now.

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've yet to find anything better than the cream and shave soap cake and brush from C & E. All 3 scents are fantastic.

http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com.../shave-creams-soaps/

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you guys post this kind of stuff. I went to the art of shaving store at ceasars and might buy a brush, soap, cream. I am too clumsy to try a real razor.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been favoring "Prorasso" for some time now, I love it with "Dollar Shove Club" razor and blades

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In a previous life I was in the US Navy, stationed on Submarines. We were not allowed to have aerosols so we all used shaving soap and brushes with regular safety razors.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have had a beard for the past thirty years and dont intend ever voluntarily shaving again in my remaining life.

You shavers have my sympathy

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Real" shaving, allows you to use antler to good effect. Wink

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have used a straight razor + shaving soap since the mid 70's.It will give you a very close shave providing you know how to strop your razor.I have a barber friend that said when in barber school they had to shave a balloon.Hard to cheat on that one. Oh + BTW,although I am not a big Woody Allen fan you should check out the shaving scene in "What's New Pussycat" where he uses a straight razor in super fast time. It still curls my toes.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I hear you about being clumsy. I am very strongly left-hand dominant and would have a hard time using a straight razor with my right hand. I am still intrigued by the straight razor. When my barber shaves the back of my neck with a freshly honed razor I can not feel the razor on my skin.

I found this video helpful. I don't go for the BBS shave. My wife says she married a man and not a boy so she expects me to have whiskers. I just do two passes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDq-2ZRVYXA

When i need to buy blades again I will probably get this: https://straightrazordesigns.c...?variant=28873550727 Blades last me about two weeks so that would last me several years.

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve ellis:
"Real" shaving, allows you to use antler to good effect. Wink

Steve.

Very cool. Did you make the handle?

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I made the brush.

A friend re-scaled the razor for me, using antler from a Red deer that I shot.

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
VERY nice work!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Is the brush badger or boar hair? Is it from an animal you killed?

I would be interested in details on how you made the brush. It would be nice to make some for my grandsons. The oldest is five so I have a little time to learn!

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That one is badger - a protected species, here in the UK.

I buy knots from China, and no surprise there!

I use badger hair knots for most of my brushes, but do make the occasional boar bristle brush.

Badger:

Boar:

I have made a couple of hundred, I would guess.

Steve.