New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal Mart Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I just read a posting from one of my pro-gun orgs. concerning that Wal Mart after the Oddessa shootings have decided to stop selling pistol ammo + several other items, shooting related. Might make you want to rethink where you spend your money. Also for those unaware, Sam Walton's son was in the Special Forces when he was killed + awarded posthumously the silver star. When he died he was the 11th richest man in the world. Something to think on.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. John T. Walton did serve in Vietnam and did earn the Silver Star, but he died in an ultralight (experimental aircraft) crash nearly forty years later, on June 27, 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Walton

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, I read that article several years ago. So I'm not remembering it clearly or it was wrong or Wikipedia is mistaken. Who knows. I probably don't remember it right.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He sounded like a good man in all respects.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The sad thing is that how Walmart and other big bog stores (Dick’s) have pushed out the mom and pop stores, much like online sales have more currently.

This is nothing like what Mr. Walton would want. I believe he was quite a bird hunter.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone buying an ar rifle from Walmart, magazines from Walmart and ammo from Walmart and then shooting up a Walmart would look terrible by multiple angles.

My first ar I nearly bought was at a Walmart in South Carolina.

Walmart sells 2 percent of us guns and 20 percent of us anmo, is Walmart pro gun - yes for such a high profile company.

But selling a product that in some remote situation can be used to kill a bunch of people in their own store is not good business.

Last thing walmart would want is Michael Moore walking around with a bunch of shooting victims and recovered bullets trying to hand them to Walmart ceo or Walton family members. They did that to Kmart after columbine shooting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But selling a product that in some remote situation can be used to kill a bunch of people in their own store is not good business

They are still selling pump shotguns.

Well I guess when someone takes some propane canisters and a few cans of white gas.

Then sets the store on fire and kills a bunch of people.

They can stop selling them too.

Or knifes, baseball bats and any other thing that a resourceful mind can use to kill people.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
But selling a product that in some remote situation can be used to kill a bunch of people in their own store is not good business

They are still selling pump shotguns.

Well I guess when someone takes some propane canisters and a few cans of white gas.

Then sets the store on fire and kills a bunch of people.

They can stop selling them too.

Or knifes, baseball bats and any other thing that a resourceful mind can use to kill people.

Walmart after change in policy will go from accounting for 20 percent of total us ammo sales to 6-9 percent of total ammo sales.

They are already walking away from over 50 percent of what they used to sell. They can easily stop selling ammo and it won’t impact their bottom line significantly.

Boycott Walmart does not really work - what is other pro gun retailer that sells stuff other than guns.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they will stop selling beer so people don't drive drunk?

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OkieNewton:
I wonder if they will stop selling beer so people don't drive drunk?

They do sell de alcoholized beer, as I found by mistake. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1595 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard several reports on NPR yesterday (Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer) that harped on the fact that WalMart was no longer going to sell "handgun ammunition and ammo for Short Barrel Rifles". Whaaat?

I guess that (Short Barrel Rifle) is the new target for anti's - or the new name for evil. What percentage of domestic terrorism is carried out with handguns or SBRs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
I heard several reports on NPR yesterday (Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer) that harped on the fact that WalMart was no longer going to sell "handgun ammunition and ammo for Short Barrel Rifles". Whaaat?

I guess that (Short Barrel Rifle) is the new target for anti's - or the new name for evil. What percentage of domestic terrorism is carried out with handguns or SBRs?

Lots for handguns. None for atf class 3 registered sbr.

Registered tax stamped class 3 guns are never used in any crimes.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Walmart wasn't the first to run out Mom & Pops. I remember Gibson's a long time ago.

You have Home Depot and Lowe's wiping-out the small hardware stores. It's just evolution...... and now we have Amazon. You can't fight evolution. Who wants to pay higher prices for the same product.

None of us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
Walmart wasn't the first to run out Mom & Pops. I remember Gibson's a long time ago.

You have Home Depot and Lowe's wiping-out the small hardware stores. It's just evolution...... and now we have Amazon. You can't fight evolution. Who wants to pay higher prices for the same product.

Good point

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Gibsons as well. I bought a lot of guns + ammo there over the years. We used to have a Western Auto store on the square in Georgetown + it was truly a Mom + Pop store. I used to make a point of shopping there even if they were higher. Then Home Depot moved in as well as a humongous influx of out of state folks moving in + that was their death knell. The newcomers moved here for the small-town ambiance + old world charm + immediately set out to change it. It's happening all over here in central Texas + a real shame. But as you said Ken, you can't fight evolution; mores the pity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. It's happening all over here in central Texas + a real shame. But as you said Ken, you can't fight evolution; mores the pity.

All over the county.

Any where city people move to.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:
Hide Post

Good point

I don’t think it’s JUSt price, it’s convenience. Yes, I know going to a store incurs a cost, but I don’t think .001% calculate that when they look at cost. The fact is, many products on amazon are not as cheap as you can get them elsewhere - it you can sit on your fat ass and order with one finger and that makes it all worthwhile.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is this is more about perception than anything.
It will make people think that they (wolly world)
is doing something to make them safe. Kinda like schools.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. It is about "convenience". That's why 7-11 + their ilk have made it big. Going one step further, my middle son the computer whiz told me several months ago that the wave of the future was no more grocery stores. Everything will be bought online. Our main grocery chain here in Texas is H.E.B. + they have already started that program to a point. You call in your order + never exit your car. They deliver to your car. Kinda amusing here is that I can remember in the past when they would deliver your groceries to your home + the same for milk in the morning. Not the same thing, unfortunately.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:

Dog-whistle marketing talk for the next step, a more inclusive term...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Friend Jim Taylor, missionary and Shootist, sent me this incredibly sensible editorial on the Walmart situation. Sorry to say I have bought ammo at Walmart. No mas.

shootistjim
1:02 PM (31 minutes ago)
to shootistjim

Walmart Never Was a Gun Store

By RICHARD MANN

A lot of folks are outraged at Walmart discontinuing the sale of ARs and now certain kinds of ammunition. I guess they feel like this monster corporation has betrayed them, and that we should boycott or punish them for not supporting the Second Amendment. Well, um, we should have never started buying our gun stuff there in the first place. We abandoned real gun stores for convenience, and to save a couple dollars. Gun stores went out of business, and here we are.
I could care less. In fact, it would not bother me if Walmart stopped selling guns and gun and hunting related accessories all together. They’ve never been a real gun/hunting store anyway. Though I’m sure there are exceptions, those behind the counter are, in most cases, not qualified to sale or even handle a gun, and I doubt any of them know the difference between a caliber and a cartridge. And based on my experience; their enthusiasm for customer care almost equals my interest in cat videos.

When I was growing up there was a local bait & tackle/gun shop about two miles from my house. On weekends—during my paper route—I’d stop there on my bike. The guy behind the counter would let me look at and fondle the guns that interested me, and he even knew a thing or two about firearms…and young boys. I could usually talk him out of some part I needed, that was just lying in the clutter on his workbench. (If you grew up near my hometown—and are older than 50—you will remember Ray’s Bait Shop. I’d rather go back there for one hour than spend a day in Cabela’s.)

We’ve seen the death of the local gun shop. With that, we’ve lost places where real and practical knowledge could be dispensed. Walmart has contributed to this near extinction; they retail firearms so cheap the local guy cannot compete. (Few realize how small profit margins are on guns.) What they fail to deliver is service—service before, during, and most importantly, after the sale. And those conducting the sale do not have the experience to get that feeling when someone is trying to buy a gun with possible bad intentions in mind. (You do realize an FFL dealer can deny a sale to anyone they think might be a danger, don’t you? Local gun shop owners take this seriously.)

And then there’s the knowledge they do not have to share. Local gun shops are operated by folks who are experienced with, and passionate about, what they do and the things they sale. That passion carries over to the customer. The absence of that passion is like a cancer to the gun and hunting industry. It’s why Walmart could care less about your firearms or hunting interests—they have none of their own. It’s also the reason some gun manufactures are struggling; they hired management types from other industries who lack our passion.

Be mad at Walmart if you like, I could care less what they sale. When I buy gun stuff I’m going to buy it from a guy who smells like Hoppe’s #9, a guy who was installing a trigger on a rifle that morning, a guy who closed his shop early yesterday to go to the range, a guy who frequently has a shop full of like-minded folks bitching about anti-gunners, a guy who knows what a pre-64 model 70 is, who Jeff Cooper was, and who actually gives a shit if I hit what I shoot at, or ever come back in his shop again.

With this help from Walmart the local gun shop can once again be real. With all the new gun owners in our ranks, they’ve never been needed more than right now!

You think Walmart is a gun store? Well, bless your heart. You’ve never been in a real gun store, have you?

Richard Mann
www.empty-cases.com

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Friend Jim Taylor, missionary and Shootist, sent me this incredibly sensible editorial on the Walmart situation. Sorry to say I have bought ammo at Walmart. No mas.

shootistjim
to shootistjim

By RICHARD MANN

A lot of folks are outraged at Walmart discontinuing the sale of ARs and now certain kinds of ammunition. I guess they feel like this monster corporation has betrayed them, and that we should boycott or punish them for not supporting the Second Amendment. Well, um, we should have never started buying our gun stuff there in the first place. We abandoned real gun stores for convenience, and to save a couple dollars. Gun stores went out of business, and here we are.
I could care less. In fact, it would not bother me if Walmart stopped selling guns and gun and hunting related accessories all together. They’ve never been a real gun/hunting store anyway. Though I’m sure there are exceptions, those behind the counter are, in most cases, not qualified to sale or even handle a gun, and I doubt any of them know the difference between a caliber and a cartridge. And based on my experience; their enthusiasm for customer care almost equals my interest in cat videos.

When I was growing up there was a local bait & tackle/gun shop about two miles from my house. On weekends—during my paper route—I’d stop there on my bike. The guy behind the counter would let me look at and fondle the guns that interested me, and he even knew a thing or two about firearms…and young boys. I could usually talk him out of some part I needed, that was just lying in the clutter on his workbench. (If you grew up near my hometown—and are older than 50—you will remember Ray’s Bait Shop. I’d rather go back there for one hour than spend a day in Cabela’s.)

We’ve seen the death of the local gun shop. With that, we’ve lost places where real and practical knowledge could be dispensed. Walmart has contributed to this near extinction; they retail firearms so cheap the local guy cannot compete. (Few realize how small profit margins are on guns.) What they fail to deliver is service—service before, during, and most importantly, after the sale. And those conducting the sale do not have the experience to get that feeling when someone is trying to buy a gun with possible bad intentions in mind. (You do realize an FFL dealer can deny a sale to anyone they think might be a danger, don’t you? Local gun shop owners take this seriously.)

And then there’s the knowledge they do not have to share. Local gun shops are operated by folks who are experienced with, and passionate about, what they do and the things they sale. That passion carries over to the customer. The absence of that passion is like a cancer to the gun and hunting industry. It’s why Walmart could care less about your firearms or hunting interests—they have none of their own. It’s also the reason some gun manufactures are struggling; they hired management types from other industries who lack our passion.

Be mad at Walmart if you like, I could care less what they sale. When I buy gun stuff I’m going to buy it from a guy who smells like Hoppe’s #9, a guy who was installing a trigger on a rifle that morning, a guy who closed his shop early yesterday to go to the range, a guy who frequently has a shop full of like-minded folks bitching about anti-gunners, a guy who knows what a pre-64 model 70 is, who Jeff Cooper was, and who actually gives a shit if I hit what I shoot at, or ever come back in his shop again.

With this help from Walmart the local gun shop can once again be real. With all the new gun owners in our ranks, they’ve never been needed more than right now!

You think Walmart is a gun store? Well, bless your heart. You’ve never been in a real gun store, have you?

Richard Mann
www.empty-cases.com

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

shootistjim
to shootistjim

By RICHARD MANN

Richard Mann
www.empty-cases.com

This guy is probably bankrupt or making less money than he would be if he worked elsewhere.

Like it or not the Americans gun market is a Walmart market. $300-$500 long guns. Cheap optics and a consumer base that thinks grains in bullets relates to powder.

There are few gun stores around and fewer as old timers move on to greener pastures.

You want to find good gunsmith to work on specialized gun stuff. Be well acquainted with our central ups shipping center as you will be taking guns there to ship to Montana or Oklahoma or somewhere else to a specialized gunsmith.

The local guns shop around me - only one fits half the definition and it is 50 minutes away. It’s the place Larry Shores and a I use. Still most metal and wood work will be shipped out. Even they had to hire a Spanish salesman to sell more guns.

gun smithing is armored level service at most local gun shops.

Why one needs to go to sci and dsc to see good guns.

Nearly every gun shop in central Florida has less wood and steel rifles and shotguns in inventory than I have at home.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading an article by Bob Brownell mant years ago where he expounded on why REAL gun stores should be patronized. He never named any names of the big stores but his point was valid. When you buy from a real gun store the odds are that you are dealing with someone who is familiar with the subject matter, not so in the big stores where the counter help knows nothing. So when you go back with a problem you can pretty well count on it that the gun store will make it right. The conglomerate store's counter help are worse than useless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I remember reading an article by Bob Brownell mant years ago where he expounded on why REAL gun stores should be patronized. He never named any names of the big stores but his point was valid. When you buy from a real gun store the odds are that you are dealing with someone who is familiar with the subject matter, not so in the big stores where the counter help knows nothing. So when you go back with a problem you can pretty well count on it that the gun store will make it right. The conglomerate store's counter help are worse than useless.

Prices are cheap - only thing that matters when no expert sales advice is needed.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At Walmart - nice new one near my house.

First ar is banned on their WiFi.

Second shelves are stocked with cheap 556 and pistol ammo. They will be liquidating products orderly.

Smart smart smart capital allocators, retailers and business people.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I started working gun shows the day after my freshman year in HS ended. I was 15. I was well educated about guns at that age. Much of that learning started at home by my hunting family. I also read many of the gun magazines when they didn’t seem to whore themselves out to industry.

While I was selling optics and accessories at that early age (SWFA), I definitely knew more than a guy behind the counter at Walmart. I have posted on here before about supporting the “mom & pop” gun store, even if it may cost a little bit more. Maybe it’s because my grandfather owned a hardware stores where you could buy guns, nails, and anything cool. Those are gone now, for the most part. Also gone with those stores is the actual care and knowledge about what they sell.

I will say I’ve bought a few guns from Academy (I always seem to get gift cards on my birthday), and one from Grab a Gun. The BPS and Cabela’s fine gun rooms have always been staffed by pricks in my opinion.

There are still a few small shops around Dallas. Heck, Beretta Gallery will give good deals. Some of the small shops do have the ‘overly aggressive’ cat that does think he knows everything about every gun. All you have to do is show him you’re not Joe off the street.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about meat, snacks & prescription drugs?
Lawyer ads on tv constantly about suing over bad drugs!

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that matter, ATF sounds like a great name for a store that has it all.