Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warming up by the fire Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Spent the afternoon today with some friends, all of us working as a team on tractors, chain saws and shovels, clearing trees from a neighbor's property. All of us are retired. Our group consists of a neurosurgeon, one army colonel, one air force colonel, a 747 pilot, the former owner of a lumber yard, a stock broker, a guy who has made his living at the end of a shovel, a former major league pitcher, and me.

After the job was done, we retired to a nearby workshop and gathered around a small stove to warm up, several dogs at foot. Our neighborhood is at 8000 feet in the Rockies. Temps were in the 20's and the wind was blowing.

A wee bit 'o amber liquid was poured into small glasses and passed around.

We spent the next couple of hours in quiet conversation, mostly about the weather, family, guns, hunting, dogs and women. Not a single word about politics or what any of us did in our previous lives.

All in all, an afternoon well spent. I hope I have many more of them.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds to me something intelligent people would do.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like setting around the fire at my deer lease...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Sounds like at that moment in time all involved were living the "Good life". beer

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys want to come down here and go to work for free, I've got lots of fences I need built and I'll supply all the booze you can drink AFTER you've built a mile or so of fence........ Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote