Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CITES export permit
 Login/Join

posted
I'm in the process of selling a full body wolf mount on ebay, but because there's a good chance an American might win the bid I need to apply for a CITES export permit. The permit requires the name and address of the person who is buying the mount, so I can't mail the application until the bid has been completed, and who knows how long it will take to process. I'm concerned that this red tape may detour some people from biding. There are a lot of taxidermy items for sale on ebay and nowhere does it mention anything about these permits. I'm hoping someone who reads this may have applied for one before and can tell me how long of a delay I can expect.

Thanx

Posts: 5 | Location: Canadian Rockies | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MountainMania,

My only experience with CITES permits is obtaining import permits for animals I harvested in Africa. The USFWS took a solid 90 days to complete my last permit. It can (and should) happen more quickly, but I wouldn't count on it. Sorry for the bad news, but I would tend to agree that this could discourage bidders on ebay.
I don't know what category wolf import permits would fall under, but so far I haven't seen the Government act very quickly even on realitively "easy" CITES permits.

Good Luck,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I got in touch with the CITES Deputy Administrator of the Canadian Wildlife Service, he stated that wolf is covered in appendix 2 and that meant I would have to apply for a CITES permit from his office before it could be sold in the states. He also said that a provincial export permit would be required. I understand that this is the same if a non resident alien wants to take his or her wolf back with them to which ever country them come from. I wonder how often that happens?

Posts: 5 | Location: Canadian Rockies | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote