THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Open mouth on a bear mount?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open mouth on a bear mount?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you have an open mouth on a bear mount, do they use the real teeth?
Thanks in advace,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My bear mounts have false teeth. I have the skulls with the real teeth in my reloading room along with skulls from other animals.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
If you have an open mouth on a bear mount, do they use the real teeth?
Thanks in advace,
W.

I Never use the real teeth in any of the open mouth mounts that I do in my shop.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Though we used real teeth years ago, it's almost never done today. Real teeth become brittle and discolor with age (look at some old ivory and see the spiderwebs that form on them). That's what happens with real teeth and bumping them or jarring the mount can leave you with a snagglepuss very quickly. The initial plastic teeth were almost as bad as $100 dentures, but the processes have refined a great deal today and the better jaw sets look exceptionally good.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Though we used real teeth years ago, it's almost never done today. Real teeth become brittle and discolor with age (look at some old ivory and see the spiderwebs that form on them). That's what happens with real teeth and bumping them or jarring the mount can leave you with a snagglepuss very quickly. The initial plastic teeth were almost as bad as $100 dentures, but the processes have refined a great deal today and the better jaw sets look exceptionally good.

+1 thumb

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Besides, the skulls can be trophies on their own.

This guy wasn't big enough for a full body mount, so Bob Wilkins of Wildlife Artistry did this offset shoulder mount for me.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote