THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Question about horn coloring

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about horn coloring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just received my mounts and skull mounts back from SA. I had told the taxidermist to leave all horns natural. Of course, when I opened the crate the Wildebeest and Kudu horns have been "painted black" or whatever. I realize there is not much I can do now, but why do they do this? Their own invoice says to leave them natural....but....

I don't want to open up a long distance case of
he said she said or griping but with all the overall beauty, I will always look at them and get p'oed just a little.

The funny thing is they left the Eland and Impala horns natural!

Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Replied at 24hr, but you can search (Find function) for more of my experiences, as needed.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Most African game horns are boiled to the point they have the oils of the karetin ( the horn ) burned and it is leeched to the surface.

They do this to remove the sheath and clean the inner core. Just like the stupid taxidermist here in the states that boil sheep horns off the cores they turn very dark.The African horns turn dark or black when they boil to long and to hot.
So they just add more black paint near the base to make it all look the same where it meets the skin on top of the head.

The only thing that can be done is the complete repainting for the horn. Base coat them white with Kilz stain blocker and start from scratch and airbrush them.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense now.
I'll shut up.

Again, thank you. Mr. Kudu is now resting on my wall where he shall stay. And he's looking at Mr. Wildebeest across the room.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ftg767,

Don't be too dismayed. This is typical. My kudu had beautiful chocolate colored horns when alive. When I received it here in the States, they were almost black and very dull from boiling. My kudu is a pedestal mount, and when I look at it, the horns bug me. (The horns are removable) I have a new taxidermist who says he can color them back to the original color, and then he'll put bees wax on them to give them back their natural satin sheen. I'm looking forward to having that done.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
To retain the original color (FWIW) kudu horns have to go through a maceration step. This is basically letting the skull portion soak in water, that must be changed out, until they loosen (rot?) due to bacterial action. This is WAY too involved for today's high volume safari trade, thus the boil 'em all in an iron bathtub over a wood fire approach that yields black horns. My taxi over here immerses the skull in clear/clean boiling water and used a burner ring (propane) instead. At least that's how he was doing a blackbuck skull+horns.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote