THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Putting off mounts from Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting off mounts from Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How long can mouts be put off after the get to the States

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
If the skins are tanned, re-hydrated and frozen you can wait several years before mounting.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
One year after receiving the cape (along with several others done at South Texas Fur Dressers) my taxi put Pamela's waterbuck together just fine. I have two other capes in the freezer for whenever, anticipating even five years won't make a difference. They are bagged against picking up freezer odors, dry as the day they arrived from STFD.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
See, here's the thing - I love "MONK". A dry tanned hide, cape, lifesize, does not have to be rehydrated before freezing. The reason is simple, a wetted skin, can dry out if left in a freezer for more than a couple of years. It doesn't hurt it really, but those areas need rehydrating again. A dry tanned skin can stay indefinitely.

I kept my African Lion skin - dry tanned by New Method - in the deep freeze for nearly ten years before mounting him. He soaked up and rehydrated like a brand new tanned skin.

Storing a dry tanned skin in the freezer is akin to putting a fur coat in cold storage. They don't wet down fur coats before storing. To that effect, a dry tanned skin can be folded, packed and kept frozen for an unseen number of years.

Either way works, but for years of long term cold storage, I prefer to leave the skin in its fresh, dry tanned state for freezing. Hope this helps you out! Wink

John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along the same lines how long can skins be stored in the flint hard salted state? It would seem to me short of some sort of insect infestation or them getting wet they would be pretty indestructable stored in cool dry boxes.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Along the same lines how long can skins be stored in the flint hard salted state? It would seem to me short of some sort of insect infestation or them getting wet they would be pretty indestructable stored in cool dry boxes.

They could be stored for a long time too but I would not consider it safe storage. The risk of bug damage is too high. remember with a rock hard folded skin, you would not be able to "check" for bug damage. Most likely they will be working inside those folded areas, cutting hair and making those "insect game trails" without you ever knowing it. Tanning and storing is much better.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is new to me , Last time I went to Africa I had the mounts done over there. I don't want to do them over there this time. I amm going after a lot of little dikers and small antelope. If I have luck I should bring back around 10 animals to have mounted here. There are a few Taxidermist on here that I am concidering to do the work a little at a time due to the cost of Mounting them.
The reason I was not going to leave them to be mounted is the Bush buck that I shot looks way diffrent in my field pictures then the one that was mounted. the colors and spots don't match.
So in my opion that was not the bush buck I shot.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Blaser 93, PM sent.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Grafton today , very nice to Deal with. Grate guy.