THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Where is a good tannery to send my bear hide from lower 48?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is a good tannery to send my bear hide from lower 48?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a good tannery to send a black bear I got .I heard most good ones were in Montana.I need the skull done too.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I work with over a hundred bear skins a year, from tanneries all over the United States,(from my taxidermist clients) for the past 22+ years. My top preference and the tannery I refer all my taxidermy and hunting clients with bear skins to, is YOST Fur Dressing in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. We send all our furbearers from Chris' taxidermy shop to them also.
YOST's tanning results in a clean, soft, supple, well groomed hair side finished product. They neutralize and oil the leather very well and the end result gives me the best stretch which dries well, not stiff or a bit hard as many other tans dry. I am refering to rugmaking quality preference.
There are several other tanneries which follow closely behind in preference (non of which are in Montana), but YOST always has provided a consistant quality tan, whereas I cannot say that for the others.
I believe tanneries will not accept work directly from a hunter/non-taxidermist. You will need to go through your taxidermist and have him/her flesh and salt your hide prior to shipping it to a tannery. Your taxidermist will do your skull work for you also. Where are you located? Feel free to PM me with any furthur questions.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
<The Artistry of Wildlife>
posted
Most Tanneries only deal with Licensed Taxidermists or should.
I won't deal with a tannery that deals with individuals.
Take it to a qualified Taxidermist and have them make sure it prepped right and take care of it for you and then clean your skull also.
They have to make a living.
If you are a taxidemist then you have many options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got 3 pelts back from my taxi who sends them to Cali....they're soft and supple.....he says it took him years to find a place this good, hence the reason to be shipped over 3000 miles each way. If you're interested I'll get the name.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote