New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damn Moose Shoulder Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does everyone have a problem with Yukon moose shoulder mounts hitting the wall unless they are in a "praying" position due to antler length? What have you done to "fix" the problem? I know a pedestal is a possibility but are there others for a wall mount?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother's Alaskan moose has the head turned to the (animal's) right and canted slightly to the (animal's) left. This raises the antler that is on the wall side, presenting it more parallel to the wall. It clears nicely and is an interesting mount to boot.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Any good taxidermist could and should alleviate that problem during mounting. It may require "praying" or simply wedging the back of the manikin off so that the neck and head are tilted farther down. In Billings Montana, I saw a novel way that they used in hanging the #1 nontypical elk at the RMEF. They built a furniture grade "box" that was about 12 inches deep and mounted it on the wall. Then they mounted the elk to the box so the non-typical beam would clear the wall.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A spacer of some kind od wood will work. It does not have to come out all the way to the edge. Another very attractive way would be to take driftwood and attach it together and have it sticking out of the edges vertically to look like the woods behind it.
If you would like me to draw you a sketch send me a private message with your email address and I will try to help you anyway I can.

Best wishes
Steve

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to each of you for your input. I may well try one of the suggestions. The taxidermist in S. Texas must not get much practice on the larger moose.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see a picture of what George is talking about check out buffybr's elk Trophy Roomthread. I personally never saw that done before and thought it was a neat idea.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
With all those superb animals mounted and place in that room, you guys tell me: Is it just me or does that room look too "sterile". Maybe it's all that white wall board, but the damned room doesn't seem to have a "personality". Even the fireplace has a furniture cover and the hearth looks almost antiseptic. Probably just me.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I smell what you are cooking George. A few framed photos, maybe some window treatments, more plants and maybe a few emtpy beer cans on the bar would help???
Very nice room and some very wonderfull trophies!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
LOL Bo na ro. Maybe he spent so much on those hunts he could afford those amenities. LOL

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
George and bo-n-aro,
Your posts came after the reference my post of My Room, so I am egotistically implying that your comments are refering to My Room. So to answer your comments, here are my excuses:

The pictures are acutally of two rooms. The big room (with the elk) has 3 walls that are heavily textured plaster and painted grey. The largest wall in that room is completly paneled with cedar. Most of the framed pictures in that room moved downstairs to make room for Kudu, etc. Most of the furniture went with the ex-wife.

The room with the fireplace, bear rug, and Buffaflo is actually the living room of the original part of the house. It will be re-modeled within the next year so that I'll have space for my Cape Buffalo, etc, etc that are at my taxidermist's now. The remodeled walls WILL NOT be white. The cover over the fireplace is a 1/8" steel plate that helps keep the tropical Montana weather outside when the fireplace isn't being used.

And finally, just before I took the pictures, I cleaned up all the empty beer cans off of the bar and put them im my aluminum salvage box that helps pay my taxidermist.

Thanks for your other kind comments.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
And finally, just before I took the pictures, I cleaned up all the empty beer cans off of the bar and put them im my aluminum salvage box that helps pay my taxidermist.
Thanks for your other kind comments.

Ouch!!!!but very well said! Wink

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote