Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Dew Claws
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
I've got a couple of dew claws of a cougar that I shot. What's the best way to clean the flesh and tissue from them without ruining the claws themselves.

Eventually want to make them into a couple of necklaces.

Thanks!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Soaking to loosen the tissue can cause the sheath to slip off the claw core. Instead,try to remove as much of the tissue as you can and then let the remaining tissue dry. After it has dryed very hard and crispy, it can easily be removed with a small sanding tip on the end of a dremel tool. You must be very carefull not to touch the sanding tip to the claw itself, or it will splinter. Careful not to touch the bone either, just gently sand the hardened tissue off. This technique was used on the claws below.

Best of luck.
Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mary,

Thanks for the advice. I've actually got them soaking right now. I'll take them out, trim off the big chunks and let them dry out.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Well so far so good. I trimmed off all the stuff I could while wet. Then let them dry out (on top of the cable box Smiler ).

Started with a sanding tip on my dremel (slow). Switched over to a couple of bronze brushes. Those worked much better, but left some greeen/grey discoloration on some tissue in the crevasses.

Tried the sanding tip again, but then switched to stainless steel brushes (on very slow speed). This worked real well and got them very clean.

Off to get some peroxide at the beauty supply store to whiten the bone. I'm going to tape over the claw sheaths and try and just suspend the bone part into the peroxide. Probably going to have to play with the level as I think that it'll want to foam up.

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Best to mix the peroxide with powdered white hair dye. This makes a nice paste you can brush on the bone and wash off easily when the paste dries...it will have "lifted" the bone to a nice white color.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mary,

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Went to the Beauty supply store last night. That was interesting in itself. Went to check out and the young lady asked if I had a 'Sally's Card'. I asked if I looked like someone who had a card. She said you'd be surprised. Told her I was wearing my camo jacket to compensate for my shopping destination (actually it's fairly cold here and it's a warm coat). Anyway ended up telling them what it was for and all of the ladies were quite interested in the project and the hunt itself.

Enough of that... Made a paste like you said and let it sit on the bone overnight. It did lighten it some. However there seems to be some blood staining underneath the surface of the bone (hemotoma?). So I'm giving it another shot of paste again today. After that I'll put them into the sun (which is a now rarely shining here in the Pacific North Wet) for a day.

Thanks again!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol

"Went to check out and the young lady asked if I had a 'Sally's Card'. I asked if I looked like someone who had a card." clap... So glad I didn't have a sip of tea in my mouth when I read that...too funny!

Gave my husband my 'Sally's card' years ago. I did wholesale skull cleaning 20 + years ago, until my rug business was up and running full-time. He uses it to purchase the peroxide and white hair dye powder for his skulls. The gals are familiar with him now, but it was very humerous in the beginning! Wink

Sounds like you are doing a fine job on your project! You may want to put them in the sun while the paste is on and allow to dry with the sun assisting in the process.

Would love to see pics when it is completed.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Well got one done. Here's a photo (I didn't do the skull). Waiting for my wife to decide what she wants on hers.

Thanks for the help!

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------