THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Help! The Cat Pissed on My Bear Rug

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! The Cat Pissed on My Bear Rug
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What should I do? The piss was puddled up on the hair and we have mopped it up with paper towels but I don't know what we can safely put on the rug to keep it from stinking. Also, one leg was folded over so the piss is all over the backing of that leg (we had moved the rug out of the study where it normally resides to have hardwoods installed and it was partially folded up in the dining room, that's where the damn cat got to it).
Any suggestions? I'm ready to kill the friggin' cat.

Thanks,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cat should have an accident and book a bear hunt soon Big Grin

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
The proper thing to do in this situation is to be sure and use enough gun. BOOM

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
You will need a good urinary neutalizer as commercial soaps will not do the job. Most pet supply stores carry a product called 'OUT', it is a pet stain and odor remover. (If you cannot find OUT ask a veterinaian to recommend a good feline urinary neutralizer.) Blot all the urine out of the soiled areas and then liberally apply the OUT. Let it dry completely (would be wise to hang the bear over something for better air flow), after applying product. You have several layers that need to dry, bear skin, padding and backing. You will need to apply it a few times, but it will remove the odor. It is very important to let the areas completely dry between treatments. Leather can take several days to sometimes a week or more to completely dry. Be patient as this process could take a month or so. The odor will deminish with each treatment until gone.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary. I'm going to head down to the pet store today and see if I can find some Out. Of all the places for the cat to piss. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know what to do about the rug, Mary seems to know what to do. BUT definitely kill the damn cat.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Why are you asking? Are you out of ammo or your guns somewhere else? Obviously, it's not your cat so make her send you off to get a new rug. Don't shoot the cat! Stake it out and use it for bait.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary,

I've went to a couple of different pet stores and couldn't find OUT. I bought one called Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover.

The ingredients are: Water, dentured ethanol, non-pathogenic bacteria, mild cleansers, natural enzymes, and fragrance.

Is there anything in it that will harm the bearskin?

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks for the suggestions on the cat, guys. He's actually a helluva mouser and good company and it really wasn't his fault as he lives outside most of the time and only comes in at night and the kids didn't let him out to pee in the morning.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I would certainly kill the cat, after I took out a $5000 life insurance policy on it, then go do another bear hunt.

I don't like cats for severals reasons. The above reason is #1. They pee.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Cat pelts do make great ear muffs......

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we're not allow to talk about things to do to crats here anymore

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Andy,

The ingredients are exactly the same as the ingredients in OUT. Your product will clean, neutralize the odor and prevent any bacteria growth that would create odor down the road. The key function is eliminating the acidity from the urine which would cause the most damage to the leather. From reading your initial post, it does not sound like much urine soaked into the leather.

Good luck, I feel very confident that all will be well. Oh and this product will remove all traces of odor that would attract the cat to come back to mark the spot in the future. You certainly are not alone with this little mishap. I get occasional calls from animal rug owners whose dog or cat have soiled on a rug. This will be a much less expensive fix than the chewed off ears, muzzles and feet damage that many a good hunting dog or household pet K-9 have inflicted on animal rugs. Smiler

Kindest regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont just kill the cat that would be a waste.
Drop him off at a chinese restaurant

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UMMMMMMMMM cat the other white meat.

Got'er done

Posts: 40 | Location: Middleburg, Fl. | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with most...book yourslef another bear hunt clapThen teach the cat to swim in a zip lock bag beer

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cat pelts do make great ear muffs......

Like one of them Dan Boone Coon Hats...???

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Dont just kill the cat that would be a waste.
Drop him off at a chinese restaurant

animal

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Don't feel too bad about the cat pissing on your bear rug, my dog shit on my friends bear rug.
A friend of mine gave me a nice 6.5 foot bear rug from a bear he shot here in WA state. He had no place to store it in his tiny apartment and asked me if I would keep it at my house.
My dog likes to eat vegetables so I fed him the hard ends of asparaguses one evening. I left the house early the next morning and put the dog in the kennel. My girlfriend noticed this large pile of deep green dog shit all over the bear rug the morning. She was pissed but cleaned it up as best she could. She was not to pleased with me feeding the dog the asparaguses. I guess the asparaguses didn't agree with him , too much roughage. When I got home I had dried green dog poop to deal with. It took awhile to clean up the mess but the rug was not damaged.
This little episode cost me an expensive dinner to make things right with my girlfriend. I couldn't shoot my Britany as he is a great bird dog and it was my fault feeding him the asparaguses. I never did tell my fiend about this event now that the rug is at his new place. I still would get rid of that cat, but please SSS when you do it.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
We just got Mrs Blacktailer's zebra rug yesterday. At least I know if this happens to us I won't be the one killing the cat rotflmo

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My girlfriend noticed this large pile of deep green dog shit all over the bear rug the morning. She was pissed but cleaned it up as best she could. She was not to pleased with me feeding the dog the asparaguses. I guess the asparaguses didn't agree with him , too much roughage.

I don't feel so bad about my cat now. Smiler

Deep green dogshit, something about that strikes me as funny as hell. rotflmo I'll bet you're girlfriend WAS pissed.