THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Question on a zebra backskin

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on a zebra backskin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a zebra backskin left over from my pedestal mount that I have been using as a front doormat for a few years. It's holding up incredibly well but is starting to curl at some places on the edge. Is there anything i can do to flatten it back out? Could it still be backed and made more "legitimate" looking than it does now?

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Yes is can be backed and trimmed with leather. Pretty difficult to do it yourself unless you have a commercial sewing maching.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
How old is the skin, Kevin? How radical is the curling? On occasion I have had to rehydrate and restretch curled end skins in order to get them to relax and lay flat again prior to backing them with a thin carpet and putting a leather border on them.

Here are a few pics of backskin rugs I did for another AR member. PM me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hartebeest and Gemsbok are my skins and I am very happy with the carpet backing and leather border.

Could highly recommend having them done.....

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote