New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep skull + horns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went for a little hike in the hills this week and found a winter kill bighorn that's been laying on the ground for a few years . Here's my problem both horns have pop off the skull and have shrunk and they don't slid back all the way to were they should be on the skull . Any ideas on how to make both horns expand enuff to find back on the cores or do I just grind down the core to fit the horns ?? and what type of glue would you use to glue the horns back on the cores ?
Thanks for any info .

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you are, it may not be legal to pick up a bighorn skull.

Please check your game laws on this one. Most of our western states prohibit picking them up. Canada may be different. It may also be a problem to have non-sealed horns. Sealed horns are drilled and have a plug epoxied into them at the top.

I have found a couple of monsters over the years in Montana while shed hunting for elk antlers. All I could do was take pictures and leave it there.

If you can keep them, you might be able to expand the horns enough by wrapping them in damp, not wet, towels for a couple of days. Otherwise, the horn bases will probably have to be shaved.

Liquid nails will hold them on.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote