THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How to mount Warthog tusks?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to mount Warthog tusks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
I just received some trophies, and I told my taxidermist I would take care of scull mounts and warthog tusks myself. So now I`m on to the task.
Looking for ideas on shields for warthog tusks? I saw a different setup the other day, were the shield was cut like the African continent. The arrangments of tusk were a little special as well...
How do you normally mount the tusks? Glue?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
A good, strong two part epoxy glue will work. You should also fill the tusks with epoxy, auto body filler or fiberglass resin to help prevent cracking in the future. You can also carefully drill a small hole in the back side of the tusk after they have been filled and attach with a small screw through the mounting board (the screw will hold into the filler material). I prefer the screw method so that you can remove them from the board if you ever want to.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I`ll buy some glue and try it out.. My taxidermist had already filled them, except for one of the small tusks.. From what I understood he had used "melted candles".. (mye english might not be the best, is there another name?) Smiler
So I used that to fill the last one, and it worked fine..
Thanks for your tip, btw!

Anders

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided on Velcro in a shadow box for mine.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
What`s Velcro?
Great idea with the box, btw! thumb

Anders

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I would try copper wire it could add some color.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't thought about dressage like the copper wire or any other ornaments; that would add a nice touch. I picked the finished black box up in craft shop for $14, and the stick on Velcro tape (hook and loop fabric, kinda nylon) was about $5. Wanted to see how it would look before I did anything drastic or permanent.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Both the Velcro and copper wire are great ideas. I think I`ll try it out, before glue or screws come into the scene..
I have also seen some mounts were the tusk bases are surrounded by copper. How is that done actually?
Thanks for your help and input!

Anders

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anders:
I have also seen some mounts were the tusk bases are surrounded by copper. How is that done actually?

The biggest problem would be finding a thin malable copper to wrap around the bases.Old copper gutters or copper roof flashing could be a cheap source for it.Best of all it would already have patina.Once you have found it you need a like sized object to form it around.Depending on the thickness of the copper heating it could aid in the forming.The wire on the other hand is easy to find an easy to work with.Copper pipe could be used if you can find the size needed. You can find just about anything on the internet. The problem is where in the world is it and what quanity you have to buy. http://www.chadha-brass.com/products.html Good luck with your project and dont forget some pictures when you are done.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, copper pipe, eh?... how about copper brakeline for cars? It is soft and easy to bend. Two loops or three loops around the bases, go through the box on the back of the tusks...
Maybe worth a try.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have finished my warthog mount today. I used a kind of glue that is removable with aceton or a remover women use to remove the laquer on their nails.. Here`s how it turned out:

I didn`t find any suitable wire, and it didn`t look as nice with the one I had. Then I found this glue and thought I would give it a try. It supposed to be very solid. Well, that we will have to see for ourself. Hope I don`t come home and find the tusk broken on the floor.. Smiler
Thanks for your input everyone!

Anders

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and I'm glad you left the color on them. Too many I see have been scrubbed to remove all the character, and made to be pure white. that's not how they are in real life, and look phony!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do look nice!!!

Someone was asking about thin copper...it's available from craft stores. People use it to do "copper tooling" usually it comes 1 foot wide on a roll. You could also braid or plait copper or brass wire and that would look pretty cool. Or tie it on with leather thongs or use rawhide while it's wet and let it shrink nice and tight.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I was surely satisfied with the result. It`s very important for me to keep the natural look. I wouldn`t dream of scrubbing the dirt off. I might have been to careful though.. Smiler

The rawhide was a good idea chef! Next time I might also try a different arrangement on the shield even though this is a standard and ok solution...

Anders

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Very nice...

I wonder if a small brass name plaque with the date and location they were taken would be appropriate?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaneCorso:
Very nice...

I wonder if a small brass name plaque with the date and location they were taken would be appropriate?

Is there some sorts of sets that will let me make such a plaque? That`s actually something I`ve thought of before on other trophies as well. It might make the trophy room more interesting to other people as well, especially with the name so novices don`t have to ask.. Smiler

Anders

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the coolest tusk display that I have ever seen at Boss and Sons, the English gun company in London on my way to Zambia.

It was essentially a tray in black marble like substance with the large tusk laying around the outside and the two small tusks were mounted vertical on the tray with a picture of the hunter and the hog in the middle.

I don't know if you can get the visual picture but I was told it was done by a Taxi in South Africa. Truly unique.

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cool mount! Well, we just need to get back to Africa and get some more warthog`s.. Smiler

Anders

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
hey now Anders, that mount looks pretty sweet!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks, cold!
Haven`t been able to get it on the wall yet. Somethings just takes some time.. Smiler
Did see that you`re following the scull-problem thread as well.. They`re soon ready. Can`t wait to get them on the wall and out of my worries..

Anders

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
A bit of a late post but never mind Wink

This is what I've done to some pig tusks. The round bits of wood is African Mahogany. The rounds are 45/70 and a 6.5x55. Both are dummy rounds.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8051 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote