New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing the stink!
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
How does one remove the stink from a set of goat horns? I've pulled the horns off the cores and cleand up the scull cap but would like to get rid of the smell in the horns themselves.
Thanks

Bakes

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes

Try getting some camphor flakes or moth balls and sealing them with the horns in a plastic bag for a few weeks. This method worked well for me on 2 shoulder mounted goats I received right in the middle of the wet season. Boy did they stink - lucky my wife was out for a few weeks - they were ok enough after the camphor treatment to mount in the lounge room.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks GG375. I'll give it ago!

Bakes

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
As a taxidermist for many years I found that the best way was to get a strong bleach/water mixture and submerge the horns and skull in it for approximately 10-15 minutes. Make sure that the solution gets into the hollow part of the horns without trapping air in the ends. After soaking them rinse well with water and let them dry.

For this short period of time the bleach will not change the color of the horns but will kill the bacteria that is causing the smell.

Always worked for me.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote