THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Beginning Taxidermy........

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginning Taxidermy........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
The girl who runs around in general and goes hunting with me wants to learn taxidermy, she's pretty artistic.

What do I need to get to get her started ?

We've saved a blue grouse, mountain quail and she says the next drake green-wing teal is hers for mounting.

I don't mind investing in this for her.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you request as many taxidermy supply catalogs as you can. Order some instructional books and videos and then have her try it for a while before you make any large investments in special tools, etc.. Many of the processes can be completed with common tools you may already have. Also Taxidermy.net and Breakthrough Magazine are good sources of information.

Start cutting out reference pictures of different animals from hunting magazines and make a reference scrap book for her. Use photos of live animals in different poses and look for close up shots of ears, noses eyes etc..If she keeps up with it, over the years it will become many volumes and will be one of her prized possesions as a taxidermist. You can not be a good taxidermist if you do not know what the animlals are supposed to look like. Good Luck.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a local taxidermist that will give her a little hands on instruction. Only so much can be learned from a video or book.
good luck, troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Some of us never had either DVD or books to learn from and that was our loss. The things available today can help any budding taxidermist. HOWEVER, the choices of specimen you already have could break that desire very quickly. Those are thin skinned birds that even the most advanced professional can sometimes have trouble with. Before she tackles those, I'd strongly suggest getting a pheasant (or a chicken) to skin out and defat. A pheasant has very little fat that can't be removed by hand and a small wire brush used gently by hand will get the rest.

Then suggest she join your state taxidermy association. Most of them give seminar where she can see and ASK SPECIFIC QUESTIONS. They're also a great place just to ask others questions without fear of sarcasm. This is not a "gentle" business with all its egos. Everyone develops their own "style" eventually and few of us make good instructors on all things.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote