THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Skull Bleaching help please!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skull Bleaching help please!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to bleach my Leopard skull which I just recieved today.
It was only cleaned by the Taxidermist in Zimbabwe, so all of the flesh has been removed and the skull is dry and off color.
I would like to get it nice and white, and finally put a nice shine on it.
Could any of you advise me on the best way to do this??
Thanks!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Sally's and buy some
developer, liquid works the best but, the cream works well also.

If the skull is free of all meat,Put the skull in a plastic bowl or tub then pour in the developer let sit for 24 to 48 hours. Pull the skull let it drain and set in the sun for a few hours. If it is not as white as you want it, put it back in the developer for one more day.

NEVER use laundry Bleach on a skull.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my previous role as high school science teacher, I took in and cleaned up examples of any creature that lived in this part of Canada. Advice from local taxidermists was: After boiling /cleaning ( dermisted beetles not available) soak in a hydrogen peroxide solution. 30% hydrogen peroxide available from chemical supply house. I would mix 50/50 water and the 30% peroxide, stronger solutions took less time, but occasionally had some slight flaking of the bone.
Alternatively, a paste of the peroxide and magnesium phosphate( tooth paste consistancy) was made and put on the skull. I never did that, so I don't know how long it took. The bleached skulls for sale here had matte or gloss spray lacquer put on them

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
wsquared, you've almost diluted your peroxide down to water. A 30% peroxide is actually only 30% peroxide with 70% water. If you cover that with an equal amount of water, you'd be better off just buying the 3% out of the drugstore. I use 30% just like you describe with magnesium carbonate (Basic White name brand) and allow the skull to sit in the sunlight for no more than 2 to 3 hours. Wash it off and allow it to dry and then paint it with a liberal coat of Elmer's White Glue. Gives a great soft luster.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone, but I chickened-out and sent the skull to the taxidermist. This leopard may be the only one that I ever kill, so I wanted to get it perfect.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I changed my mind on a skull hanging in the garage and to clean it up for the den I used the Cabelas kit and it worked great. I believe it to be as fool proof as possible.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote