THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    pack/dip/ship/taxidermy fees?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pack/dip/ship/taxidermy fees?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am curious about some average costs of taxidermy and dip and pack fees along with shipping trophies back to the U.S. I have heard that quite a few people are not bringing home any of their trophies, opting to save a bunch of money and hunt more often. What would bust mounts cost on eland, kudu, gemsbok and impala? What would a zebra rug cost? Those are the 5 animals I am interested in. What would the pack and dip fees be? What would shipping back to the states cost? Should I have the taxidermy done in the states or in South Africa? Also I wonder what most people do with their Kudu hides. The flanks are very prettily striped and the ruff along the backbone is nice looking too. Seems a shame to lose that in a normal bust mount. Appreciate comments, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Roufus,

I had the same questions too since my first African hunt is this next June. From what I've gathered so far, dip and pack is around $50-60.00 per animal. Shipping of capes and horns is around $100-125.00 per animal.

My taxidermist in Oregon will charge between $450.00 for a Blesbok to $950.00 for a Kudu shoulder mount. The larger the animal the higher the price although I believe there is also a premium added because the animal is from Africa. A Zebra rug is around $850.00. Prices vary as does quality and you'll get what you pay for. I've read numerous places not to have your taxidermy done in Africa for various reasons from quality of work to expense of shipping.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rufous,

I agree, the white stripes on the sides of a kudu and the mane is the prettiest part. I had my kudu skinned half life size and mounted the whole front half. Did the same with my blue wildebeast, they are both standing on a rock, and flank the door of my trophy room. [Smile]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote