Find
Notify
Tools

Bongo mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted
Here is a very nice bongo. One of the best skins we've had to work with...

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
As always, great work. Thank you for sharing.

Do you know where that bongo was shot?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Wow, very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the base, the foliage, and the positioning.

Is the hide that dark or is it the lighting? It looks much darker than other bongos I have seen. It reminds me of the Bongos from the great state of Texas I saw pictures of at SCI a couple of years ago. Can't remember the name of the farm.

I very much like to see some more pictures of the detail.

Thanks for posting

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I agree it looks nice and it is a dark one. looks like the ones you see in books that were taken in Kenya in the Aberdares. I have also seen some in zoos that were this color and I believe they were the East African variety as well. It seems the ones from west Africa are more orange in tone and the ones from the east are a darker, more maroon/red color.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
It reminds me of the Bongos from the great state of Texas I saw pictures of at SCI a couple of years ago.

That's why I asked, the darker coat reminds me of a Texas bongo.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Yes, it was taken in the great state of Texas. Not sure the Ranch but it was 100% Texan.... DAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At first I thought it looked like one from the mountains of Kenya, dark hair like the ones I have seen in pictures. The best looking eland mount I ever saw was shot at a ranch in Texas. I think that the reason the skins on the local animals come out so much better is that they don't get that course salt they use in Africa, and don't get dried out rock hard and sit in the skinning shed for 6 months or more, then have to be rehydrated when they get to the states a year or more later, and with bongos,risk red mildew and bugs from sitting in a damp rain forest skinning shed. It is a beautiful mount.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RBHunt,

I would have to agree with you. Not sure if it is scientific, but it can't help the quality of skin to set that long and be exposed to the whole process. It may also be the environment in which they live in Africa is much more wild and remote as compared to the ranches in Texas. Again, I'm only speculating and have no proof of any of these theories... DAN

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would bet the original import was of the east African genetics. All the bongos I have seen in zoos have this coloration as well. This would make sense as logistically it would have been easier to get a specimen from kenya than Cameroon or CAR.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking mount thumb

Posts: 391 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Mount!!!
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
I would bet the original import was of the east African genetics. All the bongos I have seen in zoos have this coloration as well. This would make sense as logistically it would have been easier to get a specimen from kenya than Cameroon or CAR.

ALL the captive raised bongo are eastern race. Some older western bongo bull can have a darker coloration but not like this one.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
just curious- do the use pygmy trackers and dogs in Texas to hunt bongo??? jumping

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13217 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody tracks in texas (for bongo) just sit comfortably and shoot them when they come to the feeder. Geezer "Hunting" is how it was described to me.