THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Advice needed re shifty taxidermist......

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed re shifty taxidermist......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone would kindly give me some advice on how to proceed dealing with a Montana taxidermist. I dropped off a mule deer cape on the 1/12/08 that came off a nice 170 buck. The deal was for him to tan it then contact me and send it across to Aus. I paid a $25 deposit to get it processed faster but are yet to see it 8 months later. Alarm bells rang when I found out that another hunter used him and recieved the wrong cape back that was off a tiny buck. Another person I know took a late season bull cape to him that has apparently also dissappeared. Many emails have been sent but never answered and I have talked to the guy several times on the phone and get the same bullshit story on how its been misplaced or its due to come in with the next lot of capes from the tannery or something else.I can't see myself getting the original cape back. I also purchased a tanned elk cape off him that the hair fell out of once it was re- hydrated; but thats yet another story....[LIST]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow,not good. Do you have a copy of your contract stating the terms? With only a $25.00 deposit I would venture to guess you may not get it based on the responses. What were you charged for the tanning of the cape? On the elk how long was it tanned before you rehydrated it? Did you drop this off in 2008 or 2009?

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Australia, Don't fool with this guy anymore. Contact the Montana G&F. They should be able to accept a complaint and most likely send an Officer to this guys shop. It's obvious he's not running a business in a professional way and very likely sold your cape. Look for him on www.taxidermy.net/ You might have to sort through lots of screen names but he may be there selling said capes. I wish you the best.
Cheers,
David
PS: report this to the MT taxidermy association, National Taxidermists Association and any other organization you can find.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Not "Art by Michael" I hope? If so that is bad news. It sounds like his M.O. Lots of bad news stories from me and many others from him. Call the sheriffs or the police dept in the area of this taxidermist. They can tell you fast whats what and can help you more than the Fish and Game will. If worse comes to worst let me know and I will send you a nice cape no charge except shipping. Just PM me.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey firstly thanks for your input. It was not "Art by michael".You see I came across this taxidermist as he has his shop quite close to where I was hunting in Nov 2008 on a elk and mule deer hunt. It was my first elk hunt and I hunted on public land. As luck would have it I was fortunate enough to harvest a 372 BC elk and as I have said a very nice mule deer. The bull had that 'mange' thing that a lot of them get in that area and leaves them with big bald patches along their backs, which wrecks the capes. The mule deer had a great cape with a big rutting neck on it. Now I made some calls and this fellow said he had a tanned 30 inch late season bull cape that was shot the year before. It apparently came off a 350 class bull and it looked good when we saw it but I'm no expert on tanned skins. Back in Aus we were ready to mount it 2 weeks after I got back. As soon as it was re-hydrated the hair around the face started falling out and it smelt bad. I have it still in the cupboard and luckily got hold of another one which mounted up perfectly!! In the meantime I learn't about the trouble others had with this taxidermist and it now includes me. I paid $275 US for the elk cape and left the change out of the $300 I gave him as a deposit on the mule cape. He did not want to be paid up front for the mule cape, the deal was for him to tan it so it could be mailed to Aus and when it was ready to send he would tell me the price plus postage. Sounds pretty simple to me - not..

Sculptor thank you for that kind gesture I will keep that in mind but I will explore some other options first. If I can't get a cape I would be happy to buy a cape from you if you still have one.

A crappy end to a once in a lifetime hunt.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
That is too bad. Dose this guy have a studio and dose this full time or dose he do this away from his "real job" and dose it out of his house. F&G can do nothing unless you have a big tatoo on the cape. Sorry about this loser and all your headaches . PM me with the name and maybe I heard of him. Trust only professional taxidermist.Sorry again.... nilly

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a full time taxidermist and has his own studio. I saw some of his mounts when I was there and they were of a very high standard. I think I may have been an easy target for him as I live on the other side of the world from Montana. I waste another $20 each time I call him.
Pm sent

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oakman:
That is too bad. Dose this guy have a studio and dose this full time or dose he do this away from his "real job" and dose it out of his house.

What are you trying to imply here?wave

I do just that, and I have NEVER ripped off a customer.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was not MusselShell Taxidermy. I hope not

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Oakman, if you think having a storefront ever stopped anyone from being a crook, you'd better check the federal prison system first. Doing taxidermy "full time" has nothing to do with quality and honesty.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a quick word or two to finish off this story. I still after 10 months have not got any further with the taxidermist in question. He trades under Olson Taxidermy from Livingston MT.

I would like to thank Jim Marsico from Mountain Valley Artistry (sculptor) for offering and then sending a beautiful tanned cape and all he wanted in return was the shipping cost.
What a guy!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Australia:
Just a quick word or two to finish off this story. I still after 10 months have not got any further with the taxidermist in question. He trades under Olson Taxidermy from Livingston MT.

I would like to thank Jim Marsico from Mountain Valley Artistry (sculptor) for offering and then sending a beautiful tanned cape and all he wanted in return was the shipping cost.
What a guy!

Glad things worked out, and WTG, Jim M; that is one helluva' kind and generous gesture!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote