New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning mounts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any suggestions? Vacuuming ? one person suggested a weak soap and water solution, brushed on and use the water to rerrange some hairs that have gone astray.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment. In fact I just did this an hour ago as I finished getting a few of my new RSA heads on the wall. I just use a damp cloth on the horns/antlers.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, Here's what I've done for years and always told my hunters to do for maintenance.

Cleaning Mounts

Add a bit of shampoo to a couple of cups of water and stir. Using a sponge, gather up some foam and apply, wiping with the hair, rinsing steadily. You don't want a soaking wet sponge, just barely damp, with lots of the foam. Keep wiping down until clean. Wax antlers, oil
horns (know the difference?) Use a Q-tip with Windex on the eyes. Lips, nostrils, can be renewed with a small soft brush and a bit of shoe polish. As it dries, brush with a soft hair brush to lay the hair properly. You did not say if some of these were realy old,so be sure and not get them very wet.....newer mounts are glued to forms of foam, but the old
ones could be stuffed with anything from excelsior to straw and no glue at all.
Barry Taylor [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
And what about birds? Will the same method works?

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For birds, I'd suggest trying one of the Pledge "grabit" static cloths (I think there's various brands) that are made for dusting the last few years. I just tried them them a few weeks back and was surprised how well they worked, even for light cleaning of mounts.

Barry Taylor

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just recieved a free sample of taxidermist magic from my local show. I have never used any kind of this stuff befor, but after trying it on a few birds I am impressed. I do not know where to get it other than there website taxidermistmagic.com . Smells alot like lotion. Best: Bryan

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just used this stuff "taxidermist majic" on a pheasant and it kind a seperated the feather, so I would not recommend this stuff on upland Game

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote