THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Dry tan after being wet tanned?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry tan after being wet tanned?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted
Is it possible or how hard is it to dry tan a skin after it has been wet tanned?

The tannery made a mistake on my two cat skins from Africa by wet tanning them. Once I realized it and questioned them, they said it wouldn't be hard to dry tan them as originally requested.

Any risks or issues with my skins?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its all the same tanning process as all hides start out as wet tanned. Then they are tumbled in sawdust drums until broken and dried.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Its not a problem

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I caped my bison I made sure to cape it plenty long. When it was all said and done my taxidermist trimmed almost 18" off the back of the cape. When he finished it up I dropped the off cut at my tame taxidermist (different guy) who dried it out for me. Now I have an 18" strip of bison midsection that I have to decide what to do with. Maybe a wicked set of chaps...

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote