New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail mount ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a different type mount for my latest whitetail. I have several with the usual right turn, left turn, full sneak, bedded life size and even a pair done fighting. Would like a couple ideas for something else. Was thinking pedestals, etc but can't find pics of anything I like at the moment.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Find an old post on Kansas whitetail done pedestal style on a fencepost. It was impressive!!!

Dang, the pix are gone. Posted by jds in 2006.

Posts: 4883 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
tped,

Here's a few different pedestals Chris has done.

Both these mulies had the inside of the form completely removed (leaving the inside a shell of the form), up to the base of the head, and reinforced with steel rod then covered with rock material to meld the piece into the rock habitat pedestal base.

In the early 1900's many shoulder mounts were mounted to sit flat on a table. Chris used this technique for this deer and put it on a pedestal.

Krueger's Creations Taxidermy
Chris Krueger
Phoenix, Arizona
halflingrugger@cox.net

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
Hey Mary,

That type of table-top pedestal is a lot older than that. Leon Pray had that style of mount drawn up in the 1940's!

I've always liked that pose though. It represents a Deer standing on hind legs to get a better view ... according to Mr. Pray.

John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL...John, you forget we are from the same generation and both are collectors of taxidermy historical memorabilia. Cool

The idea for the mount came from one of my Leon Pray sketch books and you are correct that the pose is to give the appearance of a deer standing on it's hind legs and others just appear to be alert deer. Wink

A few of Leon's sketches:

Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary - some good stuff there - thanks for the ideas. I like the one on the birch tree. My buck was working a scrape and horning the branches when I shot him so I was thinking of some kind of pedestal incorporating the horning of the branches.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
How about this for a lifesize

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

Now that's just cool! That's quite a buck as well.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
Man, I'd hate to be standing under him when he hits the ground!

WHOO! nilly

John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone have any info on this buck? We have had a handfull of clients e-mail us this picture in the last few days stating it is all over the internet, but with no info.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did see that on another forum - no story of where it was from. That is a really cool mount and ideal for the spot. My friend that I was hunting with when I shot mine suggested a life size mount but he almost got me divorced the last time I did a lifesize so I thought another lifesize would seal the deal for sure.

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Find an old post on Kansas whitetail done pedestal style on a fencepost. It was impressive!!!

Dang, the pix are gone. Posted by jds in 2006.

Wow! Thanks for the kind words!

I mounted this many years ago when the client wanted something different. It uses a set of reproductions called the "Kansas King" that were molded from a set of sheds found in Kansas.

The mount shows the buck flehmening over a scrape (part of which can be seen in the base). The scrape even had a footprint of the doe which had recently "passed through".

Again, thanks for the kudos.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
If custom wood work is your thing this might be a nice presentation...DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

That is a very nice mount and the woodwork splendid!... clap

Could you PM me the price for a mount like that?
I'd like to consider do something like this in the future with you...

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger:
quote:

Anyone have any info on this buck? We have had a handfull of clients e-mail us this picture in the last few days stating it is all over the internet, but with no info.

I too have had some customers email me this pic, I think it is a wonderful mount and quite the attention getter. I would love to gets some more info about it.

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary,

Can't open your pics, anyway to release them???

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
This thread is 8 yrs old, they probably aren't even on the internet anymore

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
This thread is 8 yrs old, they probably aren't even on the internet anymore

Glad you are.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote