New
Find
Notify
Tools

giraffe hide advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the full body hide (except for the neck) of a giraffe I took in the Save in 2018. I have had it stored folded up in a closet, but now I want to use it as a rug in our guest bedroom. I want to get the "kinks" out of it. I do have a couple of cowhides (hair on) that I have taken outside from time to time and used a mild soap to clean them, then hosed them down. Once dry they seem to be fine. Any reason why I couldn't take the giraffe hide outside and hose it down then let dry to flatten it out? Any advice would be appreciated.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Probably needs to be dampened & stretched, then dried. Otherwise it will not lay flat ( as your cowhides do ).

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
drj

if you have your garage floor that you could lay out your hide on.

it appears that the skin was not stretch and dried.

do you have the ability to wet and stretch the hide.

you may need to trim some hide in the leg pits after stretching.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put mine on the game room floor and the creases went away on their own.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have two giraffe rugs that were specifically made and finished with felt backing for our entryway and they are fine. We do put an adhesive tape under each corner to keep them down and from sliding on the marble. However, on the other hand, we have another one that also sits in the main entryway area that is not finished with backing and it is a pain in the arse to keep down and to keep it from rolling up in certain areas, even with adhesive backing in those areas.