THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How to treat water buffalo horns and skull ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to treat water buffalo horns and skull ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some horns and skulls from a recent hunt and even though i have been hunting for many years, its the first real trophy i have ever worried about, and i am not ''up '' on how to treat them ,before i ''put them on the wall '' can anyone give me a brief lesson on what i should do to preserve them , make them look presentable ,and not stink ,etc what to treat them with ? or paint them with ? trying to get all my hunting in, before i get that'' Big bullet from ''up there ''To be honest i dont know anything about it ! thanks for any advice!

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
OK, first things first. Is the head still on the water buffalo? If not, what condition is it in now?

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
velodog
probably "depends"
one surprising fact I witnessed in africa: they place the skull with horns under water for about a week or so.If you dont,100's of worms that live in the bone or between th bone and the "horn" come out later and ruin the horns

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Velodog,

I assume you're talking about a skull mount?

If so, take a look at the following threads:

Trophy Prep

Bleaching mounts

skull problems

Those threads seem to cover it quite well...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote