Find
Notify
Tools

Bleaching Mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted

I have done a couple of skulls before, but with limited success. I used Domestos Oxy as it was the only non chloride bleach I could find. It worked eventually but took a while to take effect.

What do the rest of you use, as I have a couple of bucks to do and thought I'd gather opinions first.

Also what is the best way to attach a roebuck,(or any buck) to the shield? I like to have the full length skull mount, down to the nose bones.

Regards,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a specialiast chemical compound available within the trade that work superbly. Not as cheap as some but well worth it in terms of whiteness. I can't recall it's name sorry.

Are you using a long-nose cut? If so I strongly reccommend the following simple method.

1 - Place trophy on shield in approximate exact position.

2 - After making a mental note of where skull cavity is remove trophy and screw 3 screws into that area of wood. Leave them an inch or so proud.

3 - Using good quality polyfilla fill the skull cavity.

4 - Press trophy down onto exposed screw heads and place on a flat surface to set.

Result - a completely solid invisible mount that is cheap and simple

Posts: 90 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way i do it is to boil, making sure not to get any water on the antlers, then spray with the power washer(wear overalls for this bit as it gets a bit messy, but does remove all meat)then coat the areas you want to whiten with a layer of cotton wool and sit this in a dish full of Hydrogen Peroxide (i think you can pick this stuff up at most chemists) for a day or so.
This method should get realy white results, and not bleach the antlers

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stuff to use is Hydrogen Peroxide. You can buy it at the chemist, pick the strongest one they have. I cover the skull with white toilet paper and carefully pour the hydrogen peroxide onto it then leave for 3 hours or so. Do be careful to keep it off the antlers and your fingers as they will both get bleached!
Cheers
Ed

Posts: 93 | Location: Hants. UK | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I saw people just spray it directly on the bone w/no paper or cotton and that worked pretty well on my mouflon...any differences?
BTW do you guys just let the stuff dry or do you wash it off later?

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote