New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Bear rugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple of bear tags to fill this week.
I would like a rug without head or claws. Simply a rug. Something to run your bare toes through.
Any suggestions? Anyone make "throw rugs" out of spring bears?

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
No problem. I have done this for other clients. Send me an e-mail and I will furnish more info.
halflingrugger@cox.net

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary, I have always wanted a rug like DAL is describing, but a couple of local taxidermists talked me out of it. They insist that bear skin and fur is very fragile and won't last long as an actual rug to be walked upon. How do you feel about this? I still want one!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Like any rug on the floor it is best to keep them out of high foot traffic areas. Even African flat skin rugs in high foot traffic areas lose hair, it just isn’t as noticeable on such a short haired skin.

Many taxidermists shy away from the bear skin project you and DAL seek as they do not do in shop rug work and the wholesale rug maker they use doesn’t know what to do. Many cannot think out of the box beyond your basic rug making. Laying this type of rug on the floor is no different than laying a bear rug, with head and paws attached, on the floor as a very high percentage of hunters do with their rug trophies.

One bear skin squared off or several squared off and sewn together would make a beautiful rug. They must be leather bound and glued to a carpet backing to provide protection to the skin and stability to the rug. Just like any other bear rug on the floor they will collect dust and debris so a simple regime of periodic cleaning by taking the rug outside and either shaking or blowing it off with an air compressor will keep it looking nice.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary, thanks for your reply. I was looking for an excuse for another bear...and I think this is it! We have seen a chocolate bear on our land a couple of times....mmmm, colour phase bear rug! Smiler When you get a moment, could you possible PM me just to let me know if you can deal with Canadian clients by mail?

Sorry for the partial thread highjack.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the bear, and found a taxidermist to make the rug as I want it. The bear had only been out for a day or so, the fur was perfect, all the wool still there. I will send a pic of the completed mat.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote