THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Can you help identify these tusks?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help identify these tusks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't know if these are small elephants or maybe walrus. I'm kinda dumb on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those look like walrus to me. I have only picked up a few from the beaches and from dead walrus along with all of those I have seen on my travels in the state.

You may want to determine when those were obtained and refer to the Marine Mammals Protection Act for dates and rules.

Cheers,

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I second the ID of walrus tusks.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
+3 on the walrus.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for walrus.

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they might be Chupacabra tusks... rotflmo

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
Definitely walrus. Look inside and see if they have a federal tag. They are old but not fossilized - they should have a tag.

We find these quite frequently out here on our beaches. Dead walrus wash up - especially in the Spring. A non-native can have them if they are tagged but can't sell or trade them.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingsalmonak:
Definitely walrus. Look inside and see if they have a federal tag. They are old but not fossilized - they should have a tag.

We find these quite frequently out here on our beaches. Dead walrus wash up - especially in the Spring. A non-native can have them if they are tagged but can't sell or trade them.

Shame. I'd love to have a complete walrus skull for my collection.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walrus also

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
Ann,

You can pick them up off Native Alaskans if they have been altered. Alaska list is an interesting place to watch...

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts...rus_Head_Mounts.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't access the link for some reason. I'd want one with the upper and lower jaw and complete set of teeth....

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top] [/IMG]

Ann, Here is a set found on the AK Peninsula. This was an old, clean set found close to Pilot Point.

It would be a great trip to come up and do a beach combing adventure in the Spring. Lot's of glass balls as well...

One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
Another set - these weren't as clean. The stink takes a bit of the excitement out of it. [IMG:top] [/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are way cool! Glass balls? Like Japanese net floats?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Those are way cool! Glass balls? Like Japanese net floats?

Yup

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the look of walrus skulls with the tusks attached.

Kingsalmonak do you ever find whalebones on those beachcombing trips? What are the legalities of possessing whalebone?

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
don't forget the Oosik! Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
I believe that as long as they are not ivory, anyone can possess bone. If it is illegal, there are a ton of folks out here that would go to jail for their yard decorationsWink Whale bones are a fairly common find...

As for the Oosik, I have always wanted one but the chore of harvesting one of those suckers is down right nasty. I have always walked away saying "I can buy one in town for $200."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a walrus skull with scrimshawed tusks about 18" long. Might even sell it for the right price. Anyone know what it's worth?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These were recently examined by a local expert in the industry.

They reported that they were indeed Walrus, and probably pretty old. They said they were 'partially fossilized' and looked to have been buried under the earth for centuries before being turned up and cleaned off.

I think they look pretty neat, but I'm not in the business of trophies, so I don't think Ill get involved in them. But, they would look cool in my room!

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
OK, I can't take it anymore, those tusks were recently taken on an elephant hunt with Jimba Safaris / Tim Lamprecht by our very own AllGone. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
OK, I can't take it anymore, those tusks were recently taken on an elephant hunt with Jimba Safaris / Tim Lamprecht by our very own AllGone. Smiler

As Lou Costello might say ... "You're a baaaaad boy!"

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote