THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Cost of replacement deer cape

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of replacement deer cape
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
Can anyone tell me what the cost of a replacement deer cape should be??? After waiting 7 years and giving 2 capes to a taxidermist, I think I'm finally going to take him to court. He doesn't want to give me back my money and ruined the 2 capes while tanning. I need to know the worth of a cape so I can get an accurate asessment of how much to sue this guy for !!! Thanks.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, but I would consider offering to cape him out or he could give me my money back. 7!!! frigging years, you've got to be kidding.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or, if he's too big for ya, walk in with a big cup full of gasoline in one hand and a bic in the other and throw the gas on him......then ask if he wants to settle.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.taxidermy.net

This website has a bunch of forums like AR. One of them is stuff for sale. Lists lots of cape,hides etc.. I'd look at a couple of the asking prices and kind of get an average and go with whatever that dollar figure comes to.

Remember some capes will run a lot more. The price of a Coues compared to a garden variety whitetail for instance. I'd try to add on some extra for time spent tracking things down etc... and add it to the bill too. You said you have sent him 2 capes. I'd bill him for 3. The original 2 plus another to finally get the work done.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are talking just the cost of the capes, then I would think that would be under a $100 ea and more likely around $75---but if you are talking about him mounting the cape on your existing deer--then it will be very close to or equal to the cost of a new mount-but I'd go to the taxidermy site and post the question and see what responses you get---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capes can run from as low as someone will go 25.00 to 300.00. It depends on what you give him. such as a Full Neck swell Huge whitetail expect to be 200.00++ for an average cape 50.00- 100.00. Wow 7 years Does he still have "your" antlers? Get what you can from him and take your trophys to a taxidermists that sends capes to a professional tannery.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, he still does have my antlers!! It was my first nice bow killed buck, a nice 8 point. Needless to say all the joy is gone. I know it's nit my deer IF it ever gets finished because the cape will be different. This taxidermist WAS a friend and he did nice work, he was a real artist. He got screwed up in a motorcycle accident and that was his excuse for about the last 5 years. Overall, a real bad situation.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a replacement cape for $50 some years ago. I can't imagine it being much over $75.

I don't think you can afford to sue him. Get your horns back and go somewhere else with them.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I bought a replacement cape for $50 some years ago. I can't imagine it being much over $75.

I don't think you can afford to sue him. Get your horns back and go somewhere else with them.

Small claims court is only $35. It has become a matter of principle with me. If I can't get my money back legally, I would have to extract revenge from his person, which would probably lead to jail time for me !!! Since I have an FFL, I try to avoid any felonius conduct , if at all possible to avoid the loss of my license and also my gun rights(sorry, priviliges).

bowhuntr

<John Griffith>
posted
Greetings:

The senario that you just gave is one that's many times in the making. I have been thru this several times where someone took something to another taxidermist and brought it to me.

I suggest that you approach this person and just tell him that you would just like to have your horns back. Don't even indicate what your gonna do with them. He'll be glad to give them back knowing that he has had them for such a long period of time.

Then take them to a reputable, honest, hard working taxidermist.

The cost of a tanned cape like your wanting will vary from $75.00 - $200.00 plus the mounting.

Good Luck

John Griffith - Nat'l Champion Taxidermist
Game Heads

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist charges $25 for a replacement cape. I have given him capes in the past, he gives me $25.

I have bought capes in the past, he charges me $25.

If you want to pick one go on ebay and look under taxidermy.

I think it is Sports > outdoors > Hunting > Taxidermy. But I could be wrong.

You will pay a bit more on ebay.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote