New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tannery Fire in WI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guy's I'm a long time reader of this forum. First time poster. The Stern Tannery in Sheboygan Falls, WI has burned to the ground the building is a complete loss. This might affect some of you as they did tan big game hides for taxidermy. I hope I haven't ruined anyones day. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard about that yesterday. Got a notice just a few weeks ago that my deerhides from last fall were done. Had not got around to mailing in the payment. Just had leather done but still pisses me off. Both hides were from very large does and were just perfect. Now the fun comes in seeing if I can get my deposit back.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
mike7mm08 you seem to be with this post the kind of customer that gives small business people nightmares.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not looking to give anyone nightmares. They suffered a great lose and I feel for them. I am out something as well though. Should I just walk away because their lose is greater than mine? I don't think so. If they are a reputable business they should have plenty of insurance to deal with this. And because of the insurance company I am sure there will be many hoops to jump through to get a refund. If there is any hassle I will in no way fault the company. They can only do what insurance will allow.

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Mike7... what does your contract state?
If you do not have one, you better pick who you do business with a little better, if you feel this way.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Mike, just think, you might have avoided all thos emotions had you reacted "a few weeks ago" to the notice that you got. It's easy for you to be "pissed off" with a taxidermist who's in debt to a tannery for your deer hides for a "couple weeks" waiting for you to come by and claim your work. All of us have customers just like you who bug hell out of us as to "when is my mount going to be finished" even though the contract states ONE YEAR. We finish it early, call the customer and if we get ANY answer at all, it's "This is a tough time for me now". Trying being a taxidermist who has bills to pay also. When your car payment is due, do you just ignore it for a "couple weeks"? How about the doctor's office that insists on your copay being paid before you're seen.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man this is a tough group. First off all you taxidermists can calm down. I am not pissed at any of you or faulting you. I dealt directly with the tannery to have hides turned into leather. I am not faulting the tannery. Shit happens. I am pissed at the situation plain and simple. I know the tannery will make things right if they can. If it comes down to me being out my deposit and hides fine. I am kicking myself for not picking up the hides. The tannery was somewhat local and I had planned on picking them up to save shipping. Well I never got to it. I guess none of you guys ever get busy and cannot get to something. I just don't want to deal with a bunch of bullshit is all. This is the second year in a row I had a problem. Last year I took multiple hides to a different tannery. Again just having leather made. It took me several monthes of fighting to get a refund from them. One of the hides I got back was not mine. They insisted it was. Well it was half the size of the hide I sent them. Also it had multiple bullet holes. There should not have been any holes considering I hit the deer with my truck. So forgive me if I am not jumping for joy that I am again probable out my hides.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Mike, did it ever occur to you that if you'd dealt with a taxidermist, some of this might be avoided? Did you punch code your hides before you sent them in? (OOPS! Rhetorical question as if you had, there'd be no discussions about what was or was not your hide.) Sounds as if you just play with taxidermy. Some of us depend on it to pay our rent. Try walking in our shoes awhile.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would I use a taxidermist for leather. I have two tannerys within 45 miles of my house. They do all the prep work to the hides as well. No service of a taxidermist is needed. Why should I give a taxidermist what would amount to a handling fee? As far as a punch code. Well the tannery does this as well. Guess what the punch code did not match but they still screwed me around. As far as playing taxidermist. I am not at all. Unless all a taxidermist does is drop off the work for someone else to do. I just don't get why you want to make this about a taxidermist. It has nothing to do with a taxidermist. And from the grief I am getting from a taxidermist I am very glad a taxidermist is not involved. I am really beginning to understand why so many people complain about taxidermists.

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Fact: All the best and most tanneries will not accept tanning from non-taxidermists, they are wholesale only to lic. business's. Reasons: see above.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we have a bunch of taxidermist worried about their pund of flesh Big Grin I don't mind using a taxidermist when necessary, but don't expect me to fork over cash just to pad your pockets. I recently fleshed and caped my own bear hide and sent it off to be tanned. Saved me about 200 bucks compared to what I paid a taxidermist to do the same.
As for the wholesal part, that's a red herring. A little research will find a tannery, happy to deal with you.
Grizz
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Grizzly, don't even go there. I've been doing this for nearly 50 years and I could honestly give a crap if someone brings something in to me anymore or not. I wouldn't want a pound of anything you owned. The only people on this earth who are dumber than taxidermists are wannabe taxidermists. I know Jim Marsico is backlogged as is every other decent taxidermist in the world, so we really don't NEED anything you might have. But just of shytzand giggles, the punch code we spoke of, EVERY REPUTABLE TAXIDERMIST puts his OWN punch code on a hide. All reputable tanneries put THEIR punch codes on the hide. When I get a hide back, I don't CARE what their punch code says, it's MY punch code that counts and if they screwed up, then I know it without any discussion.

And BTW, you're FOS about finding a tannery. Most reputable tanneries that professional taxidermists deal with won't handle personal stuff from Joe Blow off the sidewalk. Most require a copy of your business license and/or a request on shop letterhead. IF the tannery you're using DOESN'T do this, then you're going to get what you deserve back in the process.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do us all a favor and get over yourself. Your not this big secret society. As far as your wholesale tanneries go your full of it. Prior to a bison hunt a few years back I looked for a tannery to do my hide. I went to taxidermy.net and went down the list of tanneries listed even the ones in the wholesale section. Guess what 90 percent of them would be more than willing to deal with me directly. Some required more hide prep than others but other than that they would be happy to have my business. I ended up having to use a taxidermist for the hide prep because of warm spell after harvesting the animal I did not want to take the risk of the hair slipping. As far as the tannery he used guess what I could of sent the hide to them myself. It is easy to see why taxidermists get a bad reputation. They always what to give you a line of shit about something.

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
FYI I do not accept flat hide tanning but when I did I always required payment in full in advance BECAUSE of aholes like you. Cheap sakes that only want a deal and then only want to bitch. Wouldn't the small business world be such a better place if all customers were like you? Want the answer or can you figure it out for yourself? ?

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
You tell him Jim, I've had my dose of moronics for one day.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again we are back to making this about the taxidermist. Jim you are a taxidermist not a tannery. The problems I have had are with a tannery not a taxidermist. I am having a problem with two taxidermists that for some unknow reason think this is directed at them it is not. As far being cheap. I guess I am because I did not give a taxidermist a bunch extra money so my hide could end up at the same place I could send it to. I think the business world would be better if more people were like me. Businesses would lose the attitude of this how it is so deal with it. It would be nice to get what you pay for on a regular basis. Instead of what the business wants to give you. Jim by the way you do great work. Your grizzly at the cody museum was by far the best mount I have ever seen.

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Ok Ok Maybe we are on two wave lengths here. It is just that I have been in small business for over 30 years and I have found that with- out exception customers who only want a deal price and/or always seem to angle for one are ALWAYS the worst to deal with. They are the first to complain, the first to bad mouth you around town and last to pay, if ever. The business type does NOT matter. Cars to tanneries. Most small business's fail because they start off trying to apease everyone and most also start out giving deals to get business. It is a loose, loose downhill pandora's box game. Then they go broke and out of business or burn down or die, etc. and the guys that wanted and got the "deals" or were the type to be proud of skipping the middle man always complain the first and the loudest. No one likes that; except maybe the complainer. THE REASON TO BE IN ANY BUSINESS IS TO MAKE A PROFIT. Then 2nd to serve the customer. Almost equal but not quite, more like a circle starting with the word profit. Your first post clicked in my mind as very wrong. Like George pointed out, a man who also has been a success in small business many years. That's what I am talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. You know though to many times businesses are to quick to write off the people looking for a deal. Make those customers understand why the price is what it is. Don't just tell them to go to hell if you want a deal I don't want your business. People won't want a deal if they feel like they are getting their moneys worth.If a customer feels like they are getting what they are paying for they are happy to pay for it. Which is why I dealt directly with a tannery. No taxidermist in my area could show me a good reason to go through them to get my hides tanned. Nothing was ever mentioned as to what they do differently than I could do. All to often busineeses nowadays make customers feel like they only want to take your money. If a business of any type treats me well I am more than happy to pay more. If I just get a line of how they are the only ones who can do something for me and I should be happy to have found them I move on. Let your work speak for itsself. My first post I think was taken wrongly. It was very simply directed at the situation.A situation that is not good for all parties involved. I know everyone thinks I am a big complaining ass. I am not though. I have not even tried to contact the tannery yet. When I do I will give what I get. If I am treated as fairly as the situation allows I will be happy with whatever the outcome is. If not I think I have the right to be upset. That is all I ask treat me as fair as you can and I will do the same.

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
And thanks for the kind words concerning my work.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Mike, I guess we all look for deals when we're in the market for an item, but let me explain why taxidermists get a bit sensitive to this attitude. I'm just painting a fantasy scenario, but it give you an idea where we're coming from.

You buy a house. You may haggle a bit, but the market is going to dictate what you pay. You buy a car. Most now have "no haggling" policies but if they don't, you can bet you're going to be taken by dealer prep, titles, tags, and taxing. You decide to go to Africa on a hunt. You call the agent and he gives you a price. No haggling, you just need to leave a 50% deposit within 2 weeks to reserve your spot. You call the airlines for ticketing, they charge you a flat rate, no haggling. You get your passport for a heft fee, no haggling. You go to the doctor for a physical and the requisite shots - no haggling. You get to Africa and you want to kill an animal outside your "package" -there's the price, no haggling. You have all your trophies dipped and shipped for sky high fees, no haggling. You have to find a broker to send it to your taxidermist or his suggested USDA tannery and pay inflated costs, no haggling. The hides come back to the taxidermists just as soon as he pays for the no haggle priced tanning and the taxidermist calls the hunter. The FIRST THING we hear is, "Look, I'm bringing you in 5 animals. What kinda break are you going to give me?" So do you see where OUR perspective comes from and we get so defensive. We're supposed to be at the bottom of the food chain for some reason and when we only ask for an honest wage for honest labor, WE end up being the bad guys because we don't offer a price break.

RETIRED Taxidermist

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can only be at the bottom of the food chain, if youre willing to be. Big Grin I'm in the construction business and get the same shit, usually, "will it be cheaper, if we pay cash". Do this just once and soon you'll have a reputation as one who will dicker, not to mention the Govt. going through your books with a fine tooth comb.
Of course, it doesn't help that there are morons out there willing to play the game. If you are charging a fair price to begin with, based on materials and labor, how can you do the job wthout cuttting corners? I choke everytime I take another project to my taxidermist, but I have known him for years and recognize the quality of his work, not to mention that I have seen him save a couple of difficult trophies.
As for having him handle a hide to be sent to a tannery, he is a very busy man and I'm sure the hassle involved is more of a nuisance than a money maker, so I'm sure he is happy to have me by pass him.
When I go Mexico and I see some Ahole tourist nickel and diming some poor local, I just shake my head. These people are the very bottom of the human race and we rich Nort Americanos need to satisfy our ego by saving a few cents.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George I see exactly were you are coming from. If I were bitching about a taxidermist in this situation you would have every right to jump on me. When you do have people wanting a deal you need to keep in mind that you are the last in line as far spending money on the hunt. Not saying it is right or wrong just the way it is. Most people don't realize how much money a hunt actually costs. You are just the unlucky one that deals with them after the dust has settled and they or their wife sees how much money they actually spent. When I plan any hunt I will figure it down to the exact penny if I can then add some extra. If I will need a taxidermist I call them before the hunt and find out what their services will cost me and plan for it. If there is something I can do myself to save a little money I will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Mike, You overspent on the rest of the trip and want to screw the taxidermist to make up for it? Big Grin Your trophies are momentos of the Hunt, that hopefully are going to be with you for the rest of your life. My theory says if the taxiderrmist is willing to dicker on the price, he is not busy and there might be a very good reason for that, like the quality of his work..
Grizz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trust me I over think everything and have never overspent on a trip and then got cheap with the taxidermist. But many people do. I have great respect for good taxidermists and would never take advantage of them. But if they try to take advantage of me its going to get ugly real quick.