New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albino raccoon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With hunting season over I decided to set out a few traps for the local critters.
Heres one I caught today.
Debating on selling it or mounting it.

-

[ 04-30-2003, 18:43: Message edited by: Nutoy ]

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I'd mount it! They don't came along very often.

It looks like his right foot is buggered up but that can easily be hidden.

Good looking coon!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see that mount. I wonder if there is any way for a taxidermist to reconstruct that chewed foot? I recently seen photos of mounts that were made with roadkilled animals and the before and afters were amazing.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to deal with something like missing toes is to just hide it. Here's a raccoon that I mounted a few years back: Normally there's a glass case over it but I took it off for the photo.

-

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jds, that is a really nice looking mount job. I like the way you have the ripples coming off it's foot. Super job

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I first saw that pose in a photo in a hunting magazine and loved it! The rock is made from styrofoam with a covering that's textured and painted. The water level is plexiglass with clear catalyzed resin poured over it. A hairdryer keeps the resin moving until it gels. The ripples were done separately in a mold and then laid on the plexiglas before the final pouring of resin.

JDS

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great mount!

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an albino ground squirel mounted with a bobcat and when I took it to get mounted the taxi called all his buddies over to come check it out. Thought that was pretty funny.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bount 6 years ago I killed yellow coon with light red rings around its eyes and tail this is the only yellow coon I have ever seen.It only costed me $80.00 to have it mounted.
NUTOY
Your pitcher did not come up I would Like to see it.I would put a pitcher of my yellow coon on here but I dont know how.But I do Know how to send to your E-mail adders if you or any one would like to see it just let me know.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHORTMAG:
A bount 6 years ago I killed yellow coon with light red rings around its eyes and tail this is the only yellow coon I have ever seen.

That would be an example of amelanism; the lack of black pigment. Such morphological specimens can be most attractive.

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Holmes, Thanks for that. If you have time go to small game hunting and comment on the Albino/White squirrel thread.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes
Not trying to be a smart ass but them big words you just used just shot over my head.I did not understand a word you said.
Sorry!!!!! [Confused]
Shortmag

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello SHOTMAG,

Amelanism is simply a condition where the skin lacks all black pigment which affects the rest of the colouration scheme.

You have probably seen some of the pythons and boas that are referred to as "albino", featuring yellow colours and orange/red eyes. This is not truly albinism but amelanism.

Sometimes you will see an animal that is all black and may be referred to as a "black albino". This is the reverse of amelanism and is called simply melanism or melanistic.

Another condition is called anerythristic/anerythrism. This is the lack of red pigment and results in colour patterns that feature primarily greys, silvers, and black. I have an anerythristic boa constrictor that is very attractive. Kind of a black and white specimen instead of having the more usual rust/red/orange shading upon the body.

All of these are inheritable traits so wherever you discover a particular colour morph in the wild, you may well be able to find more in that region.

I'm off to a play but I'll log on later tonight and give some more info.

Bob, I'll check the other forum later tonight and join in.

By the way, a "morph" is simply an inheritable trait, e.g., light skin, dark skin, etc.

Regards to all.

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes
Thanks for the info.
I will log back on to night see what kind of info.you have found.
Thanks!!!!!!
Shortmag

one of us
posted Hide Post
holmes,

actually, the amelanism (= albino) found in snakes is the exact same mechanism that produces albinos in mammals (such as humans) - loss of a functional tyronsinase enzyme that converts tyrosine into melanin.

the difference is that in most mammals, there is only one pigment (melanin) that occurs in different amounts - notice most mammals are blacks, grays, browns, etc. while in snakes there are 2 pigment groups (melanin & erythrins = reds/yellows).

that's why in humans (for example), loss of the black pigment results in a white individual (white hair, skin, pink eyes) while in snakes, loss of the same pigment results in a red or yellow individual, again with pink eyes.

of course, the above discussion does not take into account things like leucistics (white with dark eyes), piebalds, or other of the many pattern/color anomalies.

btw, i raise snakes as a hobby/small business, and dealt extensively with albino cornsnakes for several years.

troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote