New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear rugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I'm lucky enough to bag a bear, I'm not really sure what to do with it.

I'm leaning to a rug mounted on a wall and I'd appreciate some advice.

Do rugs ALLWAYS come with mounted head? Did taxidemists also mount flat?

Are the claws allways included on rug mounts? I'm thinking I'd like claws seperate.

My home is just a normal size cottage so I don't have a lot of space or high ceilings.

My wife is not a big taxidemy fan so most of my trophies have been low key. I did insist on the moose antlers over the fireplace.

Thanks

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no taxidermist. Lots of people do flat heads and they look like nice pelt rather than a rug. My buddy has a stack of tanned skins in his basement. There are bears, goats etc. and it looks pretty cool. The claws would be more useful for jewelry than left on the skin.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Q: If I'm lucky enough to bag a bear, I'm not really sure what to do with it. A: Then why hunt a Bear? Would something else be more appealling?

"I'm leaning to a rug mounted on a wall and I'd appreciate some advice." Reply: Rugs will last much longer if hung on the wall. I would avoid flat skin rugs, instead do a closed mouth head if it's an issue with your wife. Or, you can sell it to a local Taxidermist if legal in that area.

2. Do rugs ALLWAYS come with mounted head? A: No. Q: Do taxidemists also mount flat? A: Yes

Q: Are the claws always included on rug mounts? No, you can have them removed. (I'm thinking I'd like claws seperate.)

"My home is just a normal size cottage so I don't have a lot of space or high ceilings."
Observation: Ever consider building you a trophy room? If that's not an option, what about working a deal with a local sporting goods store. They split the cost of rugging; hang it in their store, but if they close, you get the rug back.
Hope this helps, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I took a nice bear in Idaho last year and struggled with the same question. A rug would take up one large wall in my den - space I do not have so... I had a very nice shoulder mount done using this form and pose. It sticks out from the wall about 30inches. I mounted it over the desk in my home office so it is not in the way and it has worked very well.

These pics are the examples I shared with the taxidermist.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I have been a rugmaker for the taxidermy industry for the past 19 years. I have had 2 customers in that 19 years who harvested very nice bears and did not want them mounted or rugged due to their wife not approving of the mounts being in the house. It broke my heart to make 2 pillows out of a gorgeous well haired black bear a few years ago. So,yes there are other options available for you. It is a shame to waste any hide.

You can make a rug without the head mounted,but in my opinion it is not as attractive as a rug with the head mounted. As David stated,a closed mouth mount would be nice and, maybe more appealing to your wife. You can always simply pad and back your rug and go borderless, as the border will add 3-4 inches around the bear therefore taking up more wall space. I have done many rugs that way and they look very nice.

If you wanted to keep the origional claws you can have them removed and replaced with reproductions.I think the rug would look better with claws whether they be origionals or repo's.

You can always do a rug minus the head and legs with a nice leather border to hang on the wall. It would take up much less space and not have the parts, I am only assuming your wife is not pleased to look at, in the home. If this is an option, by all means give someone the opportunity to have the head for a shoulder or pedestal mount and the legs for surplus patch work. I hate to see any usable animal body part wasted.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Kindest Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, especially Mary's concerned post.

After reading, If I'm lucky, I'll have a nice borderless rug with closed mouth. If it doesn't fit in the house, I'll put it up in my hunting lodge.

Are rugs damaged by heat? The lodge is not air conditioned except when we're there so temps will get into 90's or 100's. If heat is bad I guess I could store @ house in the summer.

Thanks again,

Grizzly

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly,

Sounds like a good choice you and your wife will both be comfortable with and a beautiful addition to your lodge decor.

Not so much just the heat, but humidity and temperature fluxuation can play havoc on the hide (or any mount) in an uncontrolled temperatured environment. If you do decide to store it in your home, a large rubbermaid tub with a good lid will do the job. Lay the rug hair side down, fold it in three's,right front leg and right back leg towards the center of the body and repeat with the left side. Now fold this in three's,head side over first as the next fold will go over the head and protect it while being stored. Put a few cedar blocks in the tub, store in a climate controlled area of your home and you are good until the next season at the lodge.

Good luck on your hunt and if you need any assistance with your rugging needs, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Although it might be that a dicision has been made. May I add my .02cents.

Often clients have similar questions conscerning their trophy bears.

This is what I have found useful to tell them. If you don't have a trophy room often people (spouses and children) get tired of rugs, full mounts and even half mounts after five yrs or so. This is almost never the case with shoulder mounts with closed jaws. The later always fits tastefully next to a deer mount and can be easily moved around to other rooms, walls etc.

Now this is just a general observation, I have known of exceptions.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, you folks are a world of information.

Now, here's another question.

If I get lucky when I hunt Alaska, is it best to have a local taxidemist make up a rug or should I haul it back to USA? Is there a difference in cost and/or quality?

The guides usually say to get it done locally but you never know if that's good advice or if they get a commission.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to rugmaking, just like any type of taxidermy there is a wide range of price and wider range of quality. It is always best to do your homework before you go on any hunt. You should have your taxidermist selected and have an idea of what you will paying before your kill hits the ground. What does your usual taxidermist recommend?

Rugmaking is considered a specialty in our industry, as a very high percentage of rugs are farmed out to wholesalers. Chances are very high wherever you take it, it will be farmed out to a rugmaker for the work. Now as far as rugmakers go, there are only a very few of us who have been providing our services for the industry for 20+ years or more. There are many newcomers whose quality has not yet come into comparison to us established rugmakers. So it is important to know how long a rugmaker has been in business and look at the quality of their work. Rugs must be machine sewn, not hot glued as many newer rugmakers do to cut costs, industrial sewing machines are very expensive and established ruggers will have a few in shop.

A large amount of guides do get a discount on their personal work from taxidermists for sending their clients work to them. Some even get up to 10% for each finished piece the taxidermist does from their referals. So to answer that question, yes there can be an ulterior motive when recommended to go to their local taxidermist.

I have a handful of taxidermists in Alaska who send me all their rugwork, so who's to say if you do leave it there that it won't make it's way back to the states, then back to Alaska, then back to you!

Hope this helped answer your questions.
Good luck on your hunt.
Kindest Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Albert, just a note. You did know, I assume, that Alaska IS part of the US?

Anchorage has one shop I visited with a great layout including rug stretching tables that can handle your work. I SAW their work, however, and I can tell you with some surety that Mary's work is a much better quality than theirs. As she said, if you're price shopping, then it's a decision you're going to have to make.

BTW Exit 31, that's a great post. In my experience you're absolutely correct.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

My appologies. Alaska is far away and exotic, it just SEEMS like a far away country.

I checked into hunting Russia but decided against it. Flights to Siberia have to be made via Moskow. Maybe that's a little too far away!

I'll give Mary a call.

Thanks,

Grizzly