THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Mounting boar tusks to a panel: advice please

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting boar tusks to a panel: advice please
 Login/Join

posted
I was staying with a shooting friend earlier this week who's just back from a successful hunt in Hungary with a couple of sets of good boar tusks.

The tusks are cleaned and filled with epoxy and he's got a couple of round panels to mount them on but neither of us knows the best way to fix them to the panel.

I've done a search on here but I guess this is just too basic a question to have come up. Anyhow, I'd really appreciate it if someone with experience of this procedure could spare the time to give a novice a couple of pointers.

Thanks.

Posts: 15 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
You can buy the plaques designed for this from McKenzie Taxidermy Supply. If you want to mount it yourself, you'll need a flat panel and a vertical "beam" down the center. Into the beam, you rout slots to fit the base of the tusks. Best bet is to cover the flat plaque with plastic freezer wrap and just set the beam on top. Scribe around the tusk bases then rout. Epoxy the tusks under the beam in the routed areas. Once cured, then you can secure the beam to the plaque.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dear George,

I'm sorry I couldn't post a reply on here sooner, but many thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

J.

Posts: 15 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Or you could do it this way.

Most I have seen whilst here in Euorope are wrapped in 2 or 3 bands of copper and wired to the board.

They are usually wrapped in very thin leather.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote