Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe rug questions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
Earlier this year at DSC, I went over to Willoughby-McCabe's gun shop. On the floor was a very dark orange(old animal?)Giraffe rug. I had never thought about taking a giraffe, but I have to say, it made a beautiful area rug, I would guess about 6x10, maybe larger. How big is an average giraffe rug and what does it run approx, cost-wise?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you've asked the question I'd like to add a second part to it if I may?

What are the various styles of rugs that can be made in order to save a bit of money over tanning the whole giraffe.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Excellent addendum CC1!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Unlike zebra's, a full skin giraffe rug needs tension cuts to get them to lay flat. Generally in the shoulder, underarm and flank area.

Measurements depend on the size of the giraffe taken. Ex:tip of the nose to the base of the tail can run 12'+ and the legs would sprawl out just under that, hoof to hoof.

Where that kind of room is not available for a rug, a large section of the middle can been used alone or with other African back skins as a border, to create an attractive leather bound, carpet backed rug. This would save on the tanning of the whole skin.

If a shoulder mount or pedestal is done, the back hide can make a nice rug with mixed skins, also.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can a "runner" be made of the the neck? Any oninions on that idea? Have you seen any items made of the legs only?

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
calcarychef1 - I took a large bull giraffe on my Sept 2010 Namibia hunt and instead of a shoulder or full mount, I had the giraffe skinned into two pieces, the first is a neck piece that I eventually had rugged out, see this link for photos http://forums.accuratereloadin...1821043/m/3541015361

the rest of the skin I have as one piece and as Mary said, it really doesn't lay flat too well, but I haven't decided on what to do with that section yet, maybe some chair coverings, sofa pillows (bet I can get over a dozen pillows at 14"x14" out of what I have left, or maybe even a piece of clothing, thinking vest here. Don't know what I want to do yet, so its just lying tanned in my living room right now. I also saved the whole skull with lower jaw, working on getting the finalal cleanup on that yet. Plus I saved the two front lower leg bones and found a place to have scrimshaw type carvings done on those bones and that looks cool And I also have the skin and whole hoof from the two front lower legs, thinking of getting one or both turned into some sort of table lamp.

So even tho I didn't do a mount from my giraffe, by the time I get all these "smaller" project or mementoes done from it, I bet I have as much in costs as ashoulder mount would have been, but then I am NOT keeping track of those expenses.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote