THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    What to Look for in a Zebra

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to Look for in a Zebra
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
On my June 2003 RSA trip I plan to take a Zebra to be used as a rug. What qualities should I look for before pulling the trigger?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do NOT take the biggest one you see. It's hide will be all scared up from fighting. After all you want to show that hide off don't you? I took a mediun sized one, after looking through the glasses I decided on him. After I got to him I found a big bite mark a few inches below his spine on the opposite side of him. It was not too bad, but I had not seen it. A buddy of mine shot the biggest one he saw and the hide was a complete mess. Just something to keep in mind, but your PH should know all about it.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look for a minimal amount of shadow striping and I try to take a stallion rather than a mare (not an easy thing to field judge). The stallions are more likely to be scarred from fighting but I think it is an appropriate trade off.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of uplander
posted Hide Post
When I hunted mountain zebra in Namibia, I was told it was actually better to shoot mares. If the stallion of the herd is killed, the herd will likely break up. I shot a big mare, she had a beautiful hide, with some scars on the face. I do not think they detract from the trophy. Life in the wild is rough.

Posts: 53 | Location: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Did any of you consider color contrast? Whiter whites and blacker blacks? It seems that may make a nicer rug. Also, I think I might prefer an animal with more stripes opposed to one where the stripes are wider.

I never thought of scars though.I guess you could glamorize the animal's scars by saying they were gotten by crocs crossing the Mara River. [Smile]

Picture of uplander
posted Hide Post
I think the species you hunt will be as important as the individual variations of the animals. One reason I chose to hunt the mountain zebra was that they don't have the gray stripes of the plains zebra. I think the contrast of the pure black and white is very striking.
Another thing to keep in mind is the zebras don't enjoy being around humans. They probably won't allow you to make a through inspection before you make a decision and take your shot. As the other folks who have posted here mentioned, sometimes you get a surprise. A perfect hide may be very difficult to find. However, good memories of your hunt can turn a slightly blemished hide into a very nice trophy.
Good luck!

Posts: 53 | Location: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, you should be sure to shoot it in a black stripe instead of a white stripe, so the stitches won't show as much when the taxidermist sews up the bullet hole. [Wink]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want bite marks etc,best by one from a vendor that may have been pen raised. Personally I want the scars etc it shows the anmial lived in the wild and fought for their life at one time or another. I think it is great if you could get one with claw scars.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I am asking this question as I admit I have no idea about this topic, but how durable is a Zebra rug. Would it actually hold up with use?. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Kev, I've read they hold up very well. 10-12 years comes to mind with lots of foot traffic or longer with less traffic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things come to mind reading these posts and that is RSA Zebra have a shadow line and some brown in the hair, it's genetic..

Pure black and pure white Zebra are only in Tanzania.

Much of the brown you see in todays Zebra skins comes from tanning in the USA, so it is better to have Zebra, in fact all leather and hides, done in Africa and yes you can blame OSHA for this one..All shoulder mounts should be done in the USA IMO...

The above does not apply to the Hartemans Mt. Zebra..

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you say that a zebra rug should be done in Africa, but a shoulder mount should be done in the USA. Why the difference?

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Look for a zebra with a large head and a large body. That's most likely the stallion.

I've shot two stallions and a mare; the stallions do have some scarring, but I feel that adds character.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote