New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hnaging Zebra skins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am at last able to unpack and hang some Zebra skins. Small problem - how? They are skin, not on felt backing. Bashing some nails through into stone walls will do the business, for a time. I suspect there must be a better way, but what is it? Leather patches on back to spread load? Glued? Sewn? As may be seen, I am at sea with this and really would welcome some help! All the rest of my trophies are relatively easily dealt with, but the skins...Walls are all stone, or some plastered stone. Think Mediaeval and it will be about right.
Any hints would be most gratefully received.
Robert

Posts: 94 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
think about a stiff felt backing.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
There are several way you can go here.

One is to sew metal O-rings to the backside -- "flesh side" -- of the skin, using small tight stitches in one spot, using thread of matching color ... white thread for the white haired areas, black or brown for the areas with markings.

Yet another way is to make up some leather loops, that can be either sewn to the hide, or secured with rubber contact cement. Apply the cement to the strip of leather that will make contact with the hide, and a corresponding application of cement to the hide where the leather will attach. Let the glue set and dry fully before making contact with the two pieces ... the leather loop strap and the hide. When you attach the two to each other be sure to press them together well, to insure a tight bond.

You will need some good masonry screws to dill into the walls in order to hang the skin.

Hope this helps!
John Bellucci,
Master Taxidermist.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for ideas. I think I'll try the leather loop/contact cement way, as all this is available in my corner of SW France. DIY skills are negligible, so it seems easier.
Regards
Robert

Posts: 94 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was just about to search for old zebra skin mounting directions when I saw this thread started.

My zebra skin is huge (to me), over 9 feet squared and it has felt backing with about 1/2" of felt border around the outside of the skin. I want to mount it directly on the wallboard in my gun room.

I was thinking of using escutcheons with flat headed nails through the felt border (to spread out the contact area on the felt) but I still don't think that the felt is strong enough to support the skin.

Is sewing rings to the back of the skin the best choice for me?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
Frank,

The more sturdy method would be to sew metal rings to the lining of your zebra hide at the stress points of the hide ... those parts the skin will hang from ... usually the ends of the legs, sides of the body, neck, and head.

Metal rings can be found at Hardware Stores, DIY Stores, and Home Improvement Centers

Some folks hang skins in a straight line -- parallel to the floor -- or at an angle with the rear end lower than the front.

Pinning or nailing through the felt is not a good idea, as felt will eventually tear sooner or later. It is the very nature of the material itself.

When attaching the rings a couple of small loops going through the hide itself will not harm the skin and will make their attachment very secure. As stated earlier, use thread to match the hair on the hide ... white for white, black or brown for black or brown.

I always attach rings to large mammal rugs just as a matter of course, so my clients never have to worry about this very thing. I don't know why others don't do this as well? Roll Eyes

Take care,
John Bellucci,
Master Taxidermist

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Some of the more updated methods include using leather liner and borders, or man made materials that are sturdy and mimic leather. I know several rug makers that are doing that. D rings are attached to the rug. Adds a lot to the look and quality of the rug.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Zebra has a double felt backing. I used brass upolstry tacks to attach to sheetrock wall. It is hanging at an angle with the head higher than the tail. The tacks are holding well, and the felt has not stretched at all. I spaced the tacks about four to six inches apart around the hide.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addendum: For hanging on a stone or masonry wall, you could moount the hide on a plywood backing, then hang on the wall.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks All,

I'll go to the home improvement store tomorrow morning for rings and then I'll break out the needle and thread.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the long term protection of your skin/rug sen on rings is the way to go.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
For the long term protection of your skin/rug sen on rings is the way to go.

OK Mike you just stopped me from going out the door this morning.

Oops while I was typing this I figured out that you meant "sewn on".

Big Grin

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sorry. My typing sucks at times. I dont know why but when I tried to edit the post I couldnt. I have had that problem a few times lately. Dont know why.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rdash- For my Brown Bear rug I sewed plastic rings (you could substitute metal rings) to the felt backing, placed strategically to evenly distribute the weight. Then, I hung the rings on picture hangers.

You want to use enough rings to distribute the weight so that you do not have too much weight straining any one spot. Did this about six years ago and its still hanging.

I like impala's idea of mounting these hides on plywood backing, for a stone wall.

And, yes, you will have to drill holes in the stone for anchors, in either case.