New
Find
Notify
Tools

wolf skull revisited
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm done with the wolf skull (have been for a few weeks). I took the route of boiling and scraping followed by bleaching in "eau de javel" or regular chorite based bleach I suppose.

The animal was young and the bone was soft, so it ate into the bone in some places, especially the cheek bones. And to my surprise the bleach doesn't seem to have had much effect on parts of the bottom jaw. The skull was totally submerged, so that can't be it. I'm rather puzzled on what to do next, if anything. It isn't as "clean" looking as other skulls I've done, and I fear that making a very nice hardwood or other pedestal for it will distract from the trophy because it is rather common looking.

It is just sitting on a small table in the corner now, waiting for new inspiration. I'd send you a picture but I understood I need to put it on a website first. I'm too lazy for that today, must be the heat.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here's my attempt to incorporate a picture, despite the heat:
Notice the "damaged" cheek bones, and the "non-bleached" lower jaws?

Frans
 -

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help with any suggestions, but I think it looks nice, Frans, what whatever that's worth. [Smile]

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try this.
www.skullsunlimited.com
there are many question and info links.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote