THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Wall Rack for Elephant Tusks?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wall Rack for Elephant Tusks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I'll have my tusks in a month or so and I think I've figured out how I want to display them. Basically, I just want to put them up on the wall horizontally. Has anyone ever seen hangers that would work for this or will I have to make them myself?

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

That sounds like a very tasteful and conservative way to display your tusks. If it was me, I'd keep it fairly simple. But you might want to have something more elaborate, depending on your taste. Take a look at Ebay item #120536415767 to get an idea, or just type in "surf board wall rack" as your ebay search words. I know enough woodworking to design and make my own if I were ever lucky enough to get a pair of tusks. But for sure, I would keep the wood dark, and even seek out an African hardwood to make them out of. Most hardwood suppliers carry at least a few types of African hardwoods, but if you don't have one near you, any Southern Hemesphere wood like mahogany stained dark would also look very nice.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
One way that is cheap but looks good is to hang them horizontally with some thick hemp rope. There was a photo of one done this way somewhere on AR. I will see if I can find it for you.....

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Found it, here is the thread:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...631010311#3631010311

Look at the one hanging by rope over the door.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one with the rope is one of the best looking ones I have ever seen.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Molepole, that's exactly what I had in mind. I thought I could make them out of ebony or one of the other African woods.

I really don't want ropes or caps or chains on them. I think they would look best in their natural state.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I agree with you. Keeping them in their natural state with no caps on them sounds very classy to me. Just make sure that they are in a place where the somewhat fragile ends are protected (ie. young kids aren't touching or messing with them.) Whether you have someone make them or you make them yourself, you could customize them so that the radius of the rack exactly fits the radius of your tusks where the rack would touch them.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The below belongs to someone here (sadly not me) but I really like this idea. cant be done without capping the tusks though.

This two tiered system made a bit more robustly, with a bit more vertical distance between the tusks, and mounted to the wall would also look great. might be the ticket if you dont want to cap the tusks.

The surfboard rack idea is a good one. I think the below with two screws into the wall and more wood on the front end for security is the ticket.