New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard ideas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took a leopard on my Tanzania hunt. Don't know if I have enough room for a full mount and am looking for an alternative. I have never seen a leopard rug with head mounted like they do the bears I have. Is that an attractive alternative?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Suggestion:

Lifesize, w/wo base. Look for a pic of a leopard in a position you like.
Get away from the cookie cutter form positions.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Although you said you don't have room for one, I think anything but a lifesize mount doesn't do justice to such a worthy trophy.

This is a photo I took at an SCI show a few years ago. I thought it was a neat mount.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if nothing else curl it up sleeping, do anothing but please don't don't do anything but a lifesize. this is IMHO africas premier game animal. to have taken one for a throw or rung is just wrong

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Although it can certainly be rugged.....

....I must agree with all who have posted before me. If it is your first leopard and possibly your only, you will regret it if you do not lifesize it. If space is an issue, a rug will take up as much, if not more space on the floor or wall. Work with your taxidermist with space saving base ideas like a wall mount, vertical pose, or incorporate it in with an existing piece of furniture (walking on a mantle, sofa table, bureau or book shelf top). I remember seeing a wonderful crouched leopard mount on here with a glass table top above the mount. One of our shop favorites for a space saver with a lifesize cat is to simply mount it in a sitting pose without a base which will take up very little room and allow you to move it with ease wherever you wish to in the home or office.
As illustrated with this bobcat below:

As a taxidermist who specializes in rugmaking I would much rather see a magnificent specimen as this leopard, lifesized. If your heart is set on a rug, by all means drop me an e-mail.

Kindest regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to get a leopard last year and due to space problems I am going to mount it in a sitting position. The photos of the ones I have viewed mouted sitting look nice.

Will not get a base and just sit it next to a sofa.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I'll agree 100% with a full body mount for a leopard. Leopard is a special animal that deserves a full mount.

In the early 80's I drew a Montana mountain goat tag. Even though the season opened in early September, I waited until November (the 14th) to shoot my billy. He was old, had good horns, a very large body, and had extremely long hair. I did skin out the whole body, but I didn't think I room for a full mount. My taxidermist wanted to do a full mount of him so bad that he said he would take 1/3 off the price of a full mount ($900). I said no, and had him do a 1/2 mount. I've regretted that decision ever since. I haven't drawn another goat tag either.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote