New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fair price for Taxidermy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a fair price for Taxidermy work? Every year my taxidermist raises his prices.Zebra skin went up $150 in one year. I just received my latest invoice for work that he received from me. Prices do include shipping to Tannery and return. What are other AR members paying for quality work? My latest invoice is:

Zebra skin rug with backing $1250
STeinbok shoulder $575 LS $1750
Black Wildebeest shoulder $900
Eland Shoulder $1400
Gemsbok Shoulder $850

I have other animals arriving next week so I need to get this resolved soon.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he is of good quality you are getting a very fair price there.

I am starting to feel like a fool for not raising my prices this season and inflation is getting insane. Costs of doing business this year are really slashing into my prices.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
A fair price for taxidermy work? Well I guess that depends on the quality of work you want for your trophies. You can certainly get low ball priced work, but who will see your mounts when you or your wife decide the best place for them is the garage! Big Grin OK in all seriousness...

"Every year my taxidermist raises his prices." Are you pleased with his work? Do you not realize that we are affected by inflation as every other business. When gas prices rise,when UPS, Fed X,and all other carriers rates increase, when the cost of our supplies increase (as they do yearly),when tannery prices increase (as they do yearly)when our insurance(Health, Life and shop) prices increase (as they do yearly), when everything around us is on the rise, are we not permitted to do the same. We need to to keep up with our expenses! This isn't a hobby for us, it is our business.

The prices you have posted are low by $100.00 + dollars give or take for our Studio. Husband and I have been in this industry for 2o+ years and I can honestly say, you will get what you pay for if you are price shopping and taking the lowest bid.

Please don't misinterpret my response. Price shopping is advised, but looking at the finished product is more important! IMHO.

Best of luck in your search in finding what is right for you.

Kindest regards,
Mary

Just a few pics to show you what a "fair" price gets in our shop:

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
The prices quoted are low for good work. I charge more by an average of about 100.00 plus for each item. Have you filled up your pickup truck with gas lately? Then wonder how the truckers can even cope. Us taxidermists have to ship the hides to a tannery and have the forms shipped to us etc. Taxidermy is a luxury art craft form and a good shop will put way more hours into a job than they should for the money they make, I know I do. Anything done for cheapness is a rip off to the client and the producer in the long run.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair price for taxidermy? There are some things I buy based on price, gasoline, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. There are some things I do not choose based on price: doctors, barbers, whiskey and wine, and TAXIDERMY. Some things you buy based on the quality you get, not the price. In a lot of things in life, you get what you pay for.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Don't think there is a fair price for taxidermy work. It is more art than anything else, plus if you have ever attempted your hand at it. You would know they do not get paid enough, this applies to good artists.

But as my teacher told me once, he could eat some duck feathers and shit a better looking bird.

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the prices down here are reasonable after reading this. I got a price on a white-tail shoulder mount. Ranged from 424 up to 475 The 475 mounted a buck for the wife in 2000 for 385 and it still looks as good as it did when she shot it. It is very tempting to just take it to him again for my deer.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda depends whether you want your trophies to look like stuffed animals or art

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who said the prices were too low. I wouldn't touch that eland for that kind of money. I suspect that you aren't aware of two things here.

(1) I'm sure the taxidermist's talent levels have increased significantly and in order to stabilize his workload from the current demand, price is about the only way he can do it. No one likes 80 hour weeks, 52 weeks a year and in order to enjoy some of his own life, he had to go up.

(2) The BIGGEST REASON is that EVERYTHING ELSE has gone up. In essence, we are end-of-the-line contractors. We have to absorb all the price increases from the businesses that provide our supplies as well as having to make a decent living with mortgage rates, gasoline, postage, electricity, you name it. None of us can afford to continue working at 1990 wages with inflation this way.

Bottom line still is that you're getting a much better price on your jobs than many of us would have given you.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Army Aviator---If I understand correctly you list a zebra rug at $1250 and if thats up $150 in past would be from $1100.(dont know if zebra skin and zebra rug one in the same). Thats about 13.7% increase if my Math is correct. If you are an Army Aviator,I doubt your salary increased 13.7% past year. George Roof mentioned gas prices,mortgage rates,postage and electricity increases and suspects you arent aware of that. I'm going to go way out on a limb here. I think you are aware. Perhaps that's why you asked the question? Those things going up in price is not a special rate just for taxidermists.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also would like to throw in at least some are able to afford Africa and out of state hunts. I think by the time I saved that much I would be too old to hold up a rifle. I'll keep hoping and trying though. Big Grin

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hear this quite often on taxidermists raising prices. Its funny though, a hunter buys the best rifle he or she can, the best ammunition, top quality scope, new 4X4 truck, drops a ton of money on fuel or airfare yet fretts over taxidermy prices. When 5 years after the hunt the only thing he has left off that list is probably the taxidermy work. That is unless he found to his taxidermist based on price and not quality, then the taxidermy work may be gone too! If a few dollars is an issue then don't get the mounts done. Save the money for another trip, don't get mad at the taxidermist for trying to make a living. Quality taxidermy is hard work and talent combined.

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I should chime back in on my post since there have been at least 10 post to my posting. First to Mary Hillard-Krueger those are examples of some beautiful work that anyone would be proud to own and display. To Carpetman I am a retired Army Aviator who flew combat mission in Vietnam in the 60s and in Desert Storm in the 90s. I would not be going on Safaris if I were just living on my military retirement pay. I build up-scale custom homes for my income.

My Taxidermist is Linn Creek Safaris and Taxidermists. The animals he now has from me will bring to about 20 the number of plains game he has done for me. He has at least 30 years experience and does quality work. A good example is a full body Tahr that he had on display at our local SCI show. As I walked by this display my head turned quickly as I thought it was moving. Jack had a small fan hidden in the base that made the hair move. Jack has lots of high roller clients such as the one who shipped him an entire Giraffe for a full body mount. Jack did not make most of his money doing taxidermist but rather he was high up with Amway as can be seen in his home from the many pictures taken with people like President Regan, George Schutz, the Mandrel sisters and other well known Washington insiders and famous entertainers.

Let me explain why I started this post. About 2 issues ago Rifle magazine had an article from John Barsness about an Africa Safari to Didimala near Kimberley SA. This safari was sponsored by Serengeti Rifles. Mr Barsness had to depart after 2 weeks. I was there during the third and final week. The other 5 hunters were from Montana and Oklahoma. I took my taxidermist price list and pictures of his work. Overall, the other hunters thought his work looked great but the prices were more than they were use to paying. My trophies from this safari just arrived last night from Coppersmith. If some of the other hunters at this safari had shipped their trophies to my taxidermist and he raised the price would they be calling me with what is going on? As some of you have suggested; price is not everything. If it was I would be checking out the local taxidermy school. I have seen some of their work on deer and turkeys and it was quite good. If one has more work then they can do or want to do then maybe their prices are too low for the quality of their work. I have turned down possible clients because I was too busy or just did not feel right about them. One client say he would wait until I had time to start his home. He waited a year for me to start and more than another year for me to complete his home. He is happy and I have a home that has been featured in 2 magazine article. I know that sounds like the time it takes some taxidermists to finish a trophy but quality take time. I never rush my taxidermist. I have just one self imposed rule. I do not go on another safari until I have everything paid for on the last safari.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Army Aviator, thanks for the detailed response. Hopefully no one was offended by some of the replies. You just happened on one of the touchiest subjects in taxidermy - how to actually earn a living - . Many taxidermists do not derive their income from the trade, its tough, period. You mentioned Oklahoma, I have several good friends that are top taxidermists in Oklahoma. Most of my family is from there. Oklahoma has some of the lowest prices by far for taxidermy work. I don't know how they even hit minimum wage if they do so at all. Luckily here in Arizona we can charge enough to actually make a living at this ancient art. Sounds like you have done all of your homework on your trips which is great! Thanks for the post, if nothing else you stirred the pot!
Merry Christmas Smiler

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to you and may I ask what Couestaxi stands for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couestaxi stand for Coues Deer Taxidermist,my "specialty" if you will. But I handle most species. Thanks for asking

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, birds as well.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Army Aviator---I too am retired military and am well aware that doesnt pay enough to hunt Africa. I'm guessing you are a retired Warrant Officer which beats retired enlisted pay. I flew DE--SKS that is a desk for those that are spelling challenged.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
That second mount with the rocks and driftwood is magnificent!

What is the bird? I don't think I've ever seen a blue head like that.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! The bird is an ocellated turkey from central america. Beautifull birds with 2" plus spurs.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
If this were a competition, I would award each trophy pictured in this thread as top rate. Congrats to you all for showing us your art.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couestaxi, that is some absolutely beautiful work. I like the top deer and the turkey is really superior. That deer mount makes me want to hunt Coues deer. Maybe someday I could get one like that.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote