New
Find
Notify
Tools

pedestal size
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any measurements for a pedestal mount stand? Height, top, and base dimensions? I am going to have a Zebra mounted for a pedestal, and sense I work with wood I am going to make my own pedistal, thanks.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike338, take a look at www.custompedestals.com
I think they give some of the dimensions of the pedestals they have pictured. Their pedestals are beautiful. If you make one, let us see how it turns out, I would possibly be interested if you want to sell one.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Mike338,

Just talked with my taxidermist today about the pedestal for my buff. He suggested a height of 32 to 36 inches and a diameter of 30-36 inches. He also advised that because the buffalo was kind of heavy, to make sure the wood base that the buff will be mounted on is 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick. I suspect that the zebra base would not have to be quite so heavy.

Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of a zebra pedestal that I did a few years back. The pedestal is 36" tall and is covered with a shiny black laminate. It looks good with a zebra or sable and you can get it from McKenzie Taxidermy Supply for about $270.00.

The wooden top is not included (and really not needed) but the client wanted it. Actually I went to a lumber store and bought a wooden stool that was imported and had pretty hardwood. I took it apart and used the seat for the top of the pedestal base. The entire stool was only $20.00 so I thought it was a deal since I could put a scrap piece of plywood on the stool legs to replace what I used on the pedestal.

Good luck!

JDS

-

[ 02-26-2003, 04:30: Message edited by: jds ]

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information. After looking at the Zebra I was wondering if there was weight placed in the bottom of that pedestal so it would not be to tippy as there is no flair out at the bottom. The web sight has some very good looking pedestals in it, thanks for the sight.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
It doesn't need any more weight in the base. The pedestal is made from particle board which is pretty heavy. The zebra head is basically a big piece of foam with a tanned hide stretched over it so it's surprisingly light. It's not even close to being top-heavy.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Very nice mount, JDS. And that seems like a decent price on the pedestal. They can be pretty dear in my experience.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a very good looking mount there. I just got a call from our importer that all of our animals have been released and will be here in Michigan by Friday. I am definitly going to build a pedestal mount. The animals look so much better from this perspective. Thanks for all of the input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mike338, this pedestal is 36"x36"
 -

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I had my zebra mounted on a pedestal I made. It is 32" high about 16" @ the top & 18" @ the bottm. I wanted it to look like a chess piece. If I could figure how to post a pic I will.
Also. don't overlook what I think is the best way to display the small antelope. A table top pedestal mount is really nice looking for half of a full mount. I get many complements on my Duiker done this way. You can do several small antelope on the same pedestal.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fredj338, I just got back from the taxidermist today. He had a great show room full of different mounts including pedestals. I got the time to look some over real well. I am going to make mine from quarter sawn oak. It looks like 24 inches diameter at the bottom with a 24 inch tall tube and another circular piece at the top about 18 inches in diameter.The Zebras shown like that really stand out and look like they are just hanging around, if you know what I mean.