THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How can i get a neck measurement on a cape?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can i get a neck measurement on a cape?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My cousin is a begining taxidermist. Im having him mount a deer but i didnt get a neck measurement before caping. I know when we measured the cape flat it was around 7.5inches which is 15 in circumfrence but i dont know how to compensate for the tightness.I assume it's important for ordering the underpiece. He said he would figure it out. He has only mounted a few but is a perfectionist and does a good job. He does a lot of waterfowl.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
If he is a perfectionist then yes he will "figure it out." If the cape is to be tanned (as it should be) he should measure it after tanning. A measurement of the carcass is really not needed.

To measure a tanned, rehydrated, restretched long incision cape, lay it out on the floor hair side down, do not over stretch it, measure across the cape three inches down from the ear butts. This measurement is the most useful when ordering a form. You may also measure down from that at the widest point of the neck swell. The company you are buying the form from will have instructions in their catalog.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.