Notify
Tools

White powder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Folks

Just recovered some items from latest trophy shipment. Two dip & pac outfits, combined shipment, containing some already finished items along with hides needing tanned, shipped c/o my taxi directly to the tannery.

From RSA, all items ours (nothing misplaced).

The second dip & pac outfit items have white powder all over them. I know my taxidermist can and will clean up the stuff he will mount, but what can I or should I know about cleaning up the finished items [= shield mounts, finished rug and one tanned backskin] myself?

Thanks

BNagel

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
A small amount of this residue is not too unusual. Usually smells like flea dip. Most likely powdered insecticide of some type. Wash your hands well after handling such items as you never know what it is. I would take the euro mounts outside and clean them with compressed air or a blower (shop vac etc.) or dust them off with a brush outside. Shake the skins outside. Wearing a respirator or at least a dust mask while you do this is not a bad idea.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir. Even though I talked with him several times about retrieving my items, when I showed up at the tannery the owner gave me a proper chewing out. Don't know what his issues all were, but he seemed concerned I might lick my fingers off after touching the white powder and get arsenic poisoning or whatever.

I said a lot of "yessirs" and agreed to take everything not in need of tanning back with me to my taxi -- made me promise to have HIM clean the box of skulls and horns. He took care of me, finished the lecture and we both washed up.

I knew somebody at AR could steer me straight about cleaning the finished items up, and that I'd not have to send cigars in pennance (like I did the tanner).

Barry

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Grafton is right, it's incecticide, just wash, or wipe it off and everything will be fine.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Second dip & pac outfit says it is "carbodust" which a search tells me may be something like Seven-dust. Small percentage of carbaryl-

Found another branded name product "Karbadust". My favorite South African product name (their RAID) is "DOOM"!