THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    is $1450 to much to pay for a trophy bison shoulder mount?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is $1450 to much to pay for a trophy bison shoulder mount?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
is $1450 to much to pay for a trophy bison shoulder mount? My guy is great and does awsome work and i dont mind paying it just seems high for florida. My guy does have 30 years experience and uses a quality tanner and the wild boar he did for me came out great. Comments from the pro would be helpful.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are closer to $2000 here in Alberta! OR More

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats alot. I hear they are not to hard to mount due to the long hair but im no taxidermist so im just going by what I hear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the prices I see around here sounds about right.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
That's a cheap price for bison, I'd say he probably hasn't done very many of them if he's that low.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2008 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Agree with Jerry, the next one he does will be 2k.

Breakdown,
Fleshing and cape prep. 250
Salt 20
Mannakin 250
shipping mannakin 90+
shiping cape top tannery 75+
reship back 25+
eyes 15
other incedentals 20+
boil our horns /clean 50
reset horns 10
Form prep 2 hours
Mount 8 hours
finish and groom 4 hours
overhead for 14 hours 250+
plus overhead for time
fleshing

So your getting a GOOD price'

14 hours work on mount
cost 1055.00 hours work for 345.00

Your guy works for 25.00 per hour minus about 38% for taxes, he takes home about 14.00 an hour.

I won't touch a Bison for less than 2K
I prefer to eat better than hamburger helper every night.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
Thats alot. I hear they are not to hard to mount due to the long hair but im no taxidermist so im just going by what I hear.

Not sure where you have heard that but they take a pile of work!! The long hair takes a lot of time just to comb out and clean up. With foam cost being so high the forms are quite expensive as well. A lo9t of tanneries also hate shaving the hides and usually charge top dollar as well because of the work involved. $1450 is SO cheap

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I charge 1800.00 plus 350. to clean and bleach the skull. 24. per foot to tan the hide. I take in several every year. 1450 is cheap no matter where you live.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the other taxidermist have stated, $1800.00 to $2000.00 is a good price. A wild Boar is a piece of cake compaired to a Bison. I would take his price and hope the quality is good.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a taxidermist in New Hampshire that advertizes in the Hawkeye Sporting newspaper that advertizes Moose shoulder mounts for $ 700.00. I'll bet he could beat that price you got.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taxidermy is one place where I don't think it is wise to shop for the low bidder. You will live with that mount a long, long time. It will seem even longer if it's poorly done.

Posts: 10101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct,lavaca.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Definitely not the lower bidder ever. A fair price is fine but a bug eyed, hair falling out, mount is not for me just because it was cheaper. I have the taxidermists that I trust and know they will be fair on the price and I will have top end work. Good luck.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I paid about $1500 for truly top shelf work on a bison shoulder mount.....ten years ago! If your guy is charging $1450 today, he is probably not performing top shelf work. Either that or, as mentioned above, he has never done one and has no idea what a pain they can be to work with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are working on one right now. I charged $2150 for this huge bull and that doesn't feel like enough. $1400 sounds dirt cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy does really great work. I have seen with completed works and works in progress and they all look really great. In his shop he currently has white tail deers, red stage, sable, leopard, ornix,zebra. I was also looking through his photo books and he has done a few bison, cape buffalo, 15 foot crocodile, and an elephant shoulder mount.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Everytime I think of fleshing a Bison, I can still remember how numb my finger tips were. Their skin is 2" thick in places and they weigh a lot! That's a good price if the work is professional. You yourself made the best case:

"My guy does have 30 years experience and uses a quality tanner and the wild boar he did for me came out great." LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I spent almost double that. Granted those were Yellowknife prices and just shipping the cape to the tannery must have cost an arm and a leg (cape had to be trimmed to make the 100 lb limit to ship on the bus - luckily I was very generous with the cape). My taxidermist (Dean Robertson of Robertson Artworks) is a stay at home dad that works from his home and produces amazing work. Great guy and turned the mount around in 7 months. Not too shabby for a one man show.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess im ok with the price tag after hear all the prices everyone else is paying.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
When I shot mine, I had to beg like heck to get anyone to deal with it. They are heavy and dealing with the huge form and the heavy cape override the ease of stitching, I hear.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote