New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant leather
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to get a PH buddy to bring me 3 elephant panels over this winter. This is tanned skins taken from culled animals. Is there anyway for him to bring it over legally? He can get a CITIES permit in Zim but not sure if the Feds will let it in here without me getting some kind of same permit.
Any help appreciated!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Danger, danger Will Robinson.

Really, I believe that will require a CITES export on the Zim side and a CITES import permit on this side . . . and who knows if you can even get a Zim export permit for a culled / non sport hunted elephant.

Also, is not USF&W seizing elephant products that have been worked? Would tanned leather not be a "worked" elephant product?

This sounds like trouble on all sides to me.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Therein lies my question. My Zim buddy says no problem getting an export permit, I just don't know how to go about getting an import permit. Not aware of feds seizing "worked" leather, what's that all about? Who would know???
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Call coppersmith. Well worldwide or any other broker they will tell you what you need to know

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tanned leather is not treated as a product. I swap out all of my salted and dried panels for tanned and dyed leather before it is shipped. One, it weighs a lot less to ship and two, I think the tanning and splitting in Africa for thick hides is superior to getting it done here.

Mike

Posts: 21380 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Tanned leather is not treated as a product. I swap out all of my salted and dried panels for tanned and dyed leather before it is shipped. One, it weighs a lot less to ship and two, I think the tanning and splitting in Africa for thick hides is superior to getting it done here.

Good to know.

Thanks, Hunter Jines.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Preliminary info appears to be that it is possible with an export permit from Zim and an import permit from US. I will report when I find out exactly what's required.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
IIRC, No import permit is needed for Ele from Zim into the US. Import permit for Ele is only necessary from Tanzania.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC?? So where is it printed so I can get a copy to my Zim buddy to print out and bring with him so the goons....I mean nice customs people will not confiscate at Atlanta?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
IIRC, No import permit is needed for Ele from Zim into the US. Import permit for Ele is only necessary from Tanzania.

i am pretty sure that elephant is a CITES II animal and ANY elephant will require a US CITES import permit to get it in the country- and the ele must be a sport hunted animal taken by the importing hunter. i know for sure that TZ eles are not the only ones that need a US import permit- they all do.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13239 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

i am pretty sure that elephant is a CITES II animal and ANY elephant will require a US CITES import permit to get it in the country- and the ele must be a sport hunted animal taken by the importing hunter. i know for sure that TZ eles are not the only ones that need a US import permit- they all do.

NO! They don't!

Sorry jdollar, you are wrong here. Only Ele's from Tanzania require the CITES Import permit. Check out the US CITES Import Permit application form, page 2, about the middle of the page, item 1 under African Elephant, here is the link:

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-19.pdf

It clearly states and I quote: "African elephant (Loxodonta africana) Quantity: _____ (Import permit is not required for trophies harvested in
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, or Zimbabwe). Note: once imported, ivory can not be re-exported."

Here is additional information on the subject from the US Government:
http://www.fws.gov/internation...s/afe/pdf/salaet.pdf

It clearly states that the African Elephant is listed as Appendix I which requires a US CITES Import Permit with the exception of African Elephants from Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, and Zimbabwe, which are listed at Appendix II and DO NOT require a US CITES Import permit to be brought into the USA. Since the only other sport hunted ivory being allowed into the US is from Tanzania, one can deduce that the only ivory allowed into the US that requires a US CITES Import permit is from the country of Tanzania. The only catch I know to this is Zambia. Hasn't Zambia opened recently and if so, are the trophies allowed into the US? I know Cameroon and Moz are open but cannot be imported to the US right now.

I imported 2 Leopards and 1 Elephant Bull from Zimbabwe this year. Needed the import permit for the cats, not the ele. Sitting here in my trophy room looking at the tusks as I write this! In fact here is a pic

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
sevenmagltd,

Do the links I provided help you at all?

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and no because those permits which I am familiar with are for personal trophies. I did not shoot this elephant, merely buying surplus leather from legally taken animals. That's where the clouds begin to form! Am I missing something??

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
IIRC?? So where is it printed so I can get a copy to my Zim buddy to print out and bring with him so the goons....I mean nice customs people will not confiscate at Atlanta?
Thanks

quote:
Yes and no because those permits which I am familiar with are for personal trophies. I did not shoot this elephant, merely buying surplus leather from legally taken animals. That's where the clouds begin to form! Am I missing something??

My question to you was in response to your post asking where it is printed? I simply supplied the links to the USFWS where it is printed.

My original post did not address whether or not you could bring in the leather, rather just mentioned that an import permit for the US is not required for Zim Elephants in response to your statement:

quote:
Preliminary info appears to be that it is possible with an export permit from Zim and an import permit from US. I will report when I find out exactly what's required.

There are no CITES Import permits required to bring Elephant trophies into the U.S. except from Tanzania. However, the USFWS does not allow commercial trade in Elephant products. I would suggest you call the USFWS about your issue. Best to ask the USFWS directly.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

NO! They don't!

Sorry jdollar, you are wrong here. Only Ele's from Tanzania require the CITES Import permit. Check out the US CITES Import Permit application form, page 2, about the middle of the page, item 1 under African Elephant, here is the link:

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-19.pdf

It clearly states and I quote: "African elephant (Loxodonta africana) Quantity: _____ (Import permit is not required for trophies harvested in
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, or Zimbabwe). Note: once imported, ivory can not be re-exported."

Here is additional information on the subject from the US Government:
http://www.fws.gov/internation...s/afe/pdf/salaet.pdf

It clearly states that the African Elephant is listed as Appendix I which requires a US CITES Import Permit with the exception of African Elephants from Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, and Zimbabwe, which are listed at Appendix II and DO NOT require a US CITES Import permit to be brought into the USA. Since the only other sport hunted ivory being allowed into the US is from Tanzania, one can deduce that the only ivory allowed into the US that requires a US CITES Import permit is from the country of Tanzania. The only catch I know to this is Zambia. Hasn't Zambia opened recently and if so, are the trophies allowed into the US? I know Cameroon and Moz are open but cannot be imported to the US right now.

I imported 2 Leopards and 1 Elephant Bull from Zimbabwe this year. Needed the import permit for the cats, not the ele. Sitting here in my trophy room looking at the tusks as I write this! In fact here is a pic

i stand corected and thanks much for the info. BTW, beautiful tusk mounts!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13239 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It took me a couple of years to get them. I must admit, I was worried about them for awhile. Need to get a bigger set now.

beer

Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Zambia the first part of October this year. My PH told me elephant could not be imported into the US at the present time. Possibly in the future if the USFW and Zambia agree on elephant populations in Zambia.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
I hunted in Zambia the first part of October this year. My PH told me elephant could not be imported into the US at the present time. Possibly in the future if the USFW and Zambia agree on elephant populations in Zambia.

I thought that was the case but didn't know for sure. Thanks for the info!