THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Do you want Taxidermists to continue posting pictures of their work? POLL
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you want Taxidermists to continue posting pictures of their work? POLL
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted
I just wanted to know from all the members of AR if they like or dislike taxidermists posting pictures of their taxidermy work.

Question:
Do you want taxidermists to continue posting pictures of their mounts?

Choices:
yes
no

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the pictures and enjoy them being posted.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I already answered positively on a different thread. I say post away as well as engage in discussion, whether positive or negative!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If you have followed his posts, you will see that the negative poster has a history of being negative and I for one tend to ignore his baseless attacks.

It is very simple -- he does not have to read the posts if he does not want to!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really look forward to seeing the great work posted here.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Everybody likes pictures.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

You posting pictures of your work is no different than me posting a pic of a big buffalo killed with our company. There seems to be an elements among the members that is offended by posts by anyone with a commercial interest. I have my ideas about the motivation of these folks but I'll keep that to myself. As others have previously suggested I think the only solution is for the offended individuals to just NOT READ the offending material or look at the pics. DUH!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will not vote in this pole because I am a taxidermist and my opinion would be considered biased or even a conflict of interest in these matters.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have most of my stuff mounted. I enjoy it. having pictures posted helps me decide in what manner i would want the animal done.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Pictures and the following discussions are most helpful in planning what to do with future animals taken. Please continue.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the pictures. That is one of the main reasons I keep coming back here and the primary reason I went to SCI for the first time this year. With some pending taxidermy coming up, I really need to see what options are out there so that I can be educated on what cool ideas are out there for mounts. I have received some really good ideas by watching these forums and for that I'm grateful!

As for the commercial interests, to me that is a win/win. Helps me see the work of folks I might do business with, helps them advertise.

We are a hunting community. It is part of our national heritage. I want to do business with folks who want to work together to advance our community, not divide it. It is very easy to get into pissing matches on forums. They are not constructive and undermine the original purpose of these boards which is in my mind: to connect hunters, increase knowledge, pool resources and advance our sport.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
This is the TAXIDERMY forum. Who complains about pics being posted here? Please shed light on me.... I not only love to see everyone's work, but I have, and will continue to post any Artist's pictures that need help posting them. If anyone has a problem with that, I'll ask Saeed to add a new forum for you: The Sand Box.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I am a taxidermist/rugmaker and I look forward to seeing the taxidermy work posted here! I also greatly appreciate the privilege and opportunity to display Chris' and my work to share with all.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
LDK,
Here is the complaint from Mr. George Roof,

"Jerry, you do very nice work, but I just gotta ask you the same thing I asked Richard Santamauro on here awhile back. Are you going to post your entire portfolio on here? I don't mind seeing a species or two, but I guess I'm more of a person who'd prefer to use my own website to advertise my capabilities (BTW, I don't have one and that speaks for itself)."

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I get bored of looking at mounts, I'll skip the messages. A well-done piece of taxidermy is a piece of art. I love seeing it.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Well Jerry, having the peanut gallery on your side may make you feel better, but they aren't taxidermists. PERSONALLY, I don't think it's very tactful nor professional to display your entire portfolio just to elicit "oohs" and "aahs". Everybody has ugly babies and we all have customers who never see them for what OTHER TAXIDERMISTS see them. In my professional magazines, only the best of the best get their work published or they pay for their own advertising. I suppose if that's the way you choose to play to the audience, then the audience gets what they asked for. But when I find your nilgai nose improperly painted, since it's a TAXIDERMY site, I'm going to point it out.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't vote for the choices. I tend to agree with George. Posting a few photos of one's work is great. Posting a half dozen a day is a little over board.

I would vote that , YES, we should post photos, but not to the point where one's posts over take the forum. I'll let the Mods decide where that line is.

I also think that if a TAXIDERMIST is posting photos then he should be open to critique. Critiquing personal trophy photos is in bad taste.

Is that enough of an opinion??

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say post away. I appreciate people sharing their photos. You don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Well Jerry, having the peanut gallery on your side may make you feel better, but they aren't taxidermists.

Gee what a nice thing to say! Planters anyone?

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoops,

Looks like I just fell into the pissing match trap. Sorry if my comment was inappropriate!

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I read George's posts the same way I listen to Rush Limbaugh radio rants.

It is quite obvious that God himself created animals based on examples of Georges work (although Georges work is still more realistic!!!).

Everyone else, PLEASE keep on posting your photos; I love to see them.

George doesn't have a website - and that does speak for itself. Considering the average 8 year old can make one now, it in fact speaks volumes.

Now I await Georges admonishment with nervous trepidation....

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the photo posts of taxidermy work. I have even asked to see mounts on AR. If that makes me part of "the peanut gallery" so be it. I will never forget the source of the quote either. BTW I do get a lot of animals mounted.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
As a peanut - I'll say again that I appreciate seeing all the photos posted. They have been a fine learning opportunity. They definitely give me ideas for future use and maybe even a hint as to who may be contacted in the future. If George wants to post examples of his work fine. I enjoy what Jerry has posted as well as Grafton and others and welcome more.

I strongly suggest that if someone has something personally negative to say, an axe to grind, or darts to throw - take it off the public forum and use PMs. These tactics do nothing except tarnish the opportunity to be a part of this fine community.

'nough said.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Paul, I guess that's because I was in the 8th grade close to 50 years ago, and I don't advertise ANYWHERE. I have more work than I want now and the "peanut gallery" that I cater to keep me busy enough. Some of you took that offensively and it certainly wasn't meant that way. If YOU aren't a taxidermists but are visiting a taxidermists category, then a taxidermist might call you a "camp follower" which IS offensive. I don't expect my customers to know taxidermy as they pay ME to do that part of the equation. Jerry simply puffed himself up when a fellow taxidermists questioned his intentions, posted a poll to have his ego assuaged, and got the responses he needed to load the site up with more pictures.

Since I don't have a website, it's difficult to post pictures to this site unlike some other TAXIDERMY sites. If I'm ASKED to show a piece, I simply cut and paste a hyperlink to one of those sites. I never tried to puff my chest up about the quality of MY work or ask any opinions on it. If it makes me the bad guy to tell you how at least ONE TAXIDERMIST feels about it, then so be it.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Maybe I can shed some light on this matter with some facts for all to read or skip.
1. I spent 17 years as a professional Taxidermist (big deal)
2. Was the first Vice President of the TN Taxidermist Assoc., and a founding member (big deal)
3. Won many awards (big deal)
4. Retired in 1985 to pursue another business (which I still own; big deal)
5. Personally met Jerry Huffaker in Dallas (DSC convention) and that was a big deal to me. Jerry was a very nice person and I admire his work. I also discovered that Mr. Huffaker no longer solicites Taxidermy work. He has all he can handle and limits what his current client send/bring him. Due to his kind nature (I'm guessing on this one) he would maybe take in a head or two if someone were adamant about him doing their work. I am glad to have met Jerry. He's a NICE person.
6. I asked Jerry to post pictures of his work. Repeat: I asked Jerry in Dallas if he would post his work on AR. Being a nice person, he did.
7. Many friends and clients of mine visit AR just to see everyone's work posted on this forum. I make a point of emailing some of the pics and this results in AR getting new members.
8. I am the Moderator on another Taxidermy forum and I've never seen anything like this happen.
9. I hope we can put this issue to rest and get back to being nice to one and all.
10. Take care (yeah, I know....big deal)
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
clap...I'm with you, David...shows over popcorn...no need to keep stir!

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Thank you David. That actually IS a big deal to me and I'll apologize to Jerry for misinterpreting his actions in posting. As I said, it IS very good quality work, I was simply wondering why so many. Now I know.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Yes, I enjoy seeing your work and the work of others.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you want Taxidermists to continue posting pictures of their work?

HELL YES! Who would say no?????? Some one grab a rope!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post away! Anything else is sour grapes.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the pictures do a service for us non-taxidermists inn giving us ideas as well as work to compare with what we have. Keep them coming. As for the complainers ignore them.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mount nearly everything I kill, because I'm not a laundry-list hunter. I don't go to Africa to kill 15 head of game.

I like seeing mounts, not so much to determine who I want to use to do mine, but to see what's new in bringing an animal back to life, in my eyes.

I used a local taxidermist for mule deer in Odessa; Jonas Bros. in Denver for elk and plains game, a local guy near Alpine for pronghorn, Double-D in Rockwall for Dall Sheep, and Jerry in Abilene for my buffalo. In each case I had seen their work, been impressed; and ultimately been satisfied by the end result.

Although it may not sound like it, I'm pretty loyal. For North American trophies I will probably go back to Double-D; for Africa, Jerry has earned another at-bat. I thought my buffalo was a 400' homerun.

Keep the photos coming. The biggest suck-ups on this website aren't the taxidermists, by a long shot.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I personally feel if Jerry and others didn't share all those pictures of there work, they could be accused of hording beautiful art work. A very serious offence in my view

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
George, take a breath, get a photobucket account, and post all the photos you wish. You don't need a web-site.

Most of us mere mortals on AR enjoy seeing the photos.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a taxidermist, been one for forty years. Please continue to show your work.
troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like looking at the animals posted here.

On a related note, I LOVE taxidermeists. Seriously, they are the only folks on the face of the planet who can lie better and work slower than custom gunmakers! THey make me look good.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a taxidermist, I never post pics but I enjoy seeing others pictures. Personally, I don't care what their intentions are in posting the pics. If it's to try and get business, or just to show. It always sparks ideas and poses and thoughts in my mind.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a related note, I LOVE taxidermeists. Seriously, they are the only folks on the face of the planet who can lie better and work slower than custom gunmakers!

jumping

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art is always appreciated. Im always in awe of some of the better creations I see. It also at times gives me ideas for how to have something done in a style I might not have thought of before. By all means continue.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote