New
Find
Notify
Tools

pattern for fur mitts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This isn't taxidermy but this seems the best place to ask the question. I have some coyote mitts and they are lined with wool felt, obviously Indian made and warm as heck. Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for mitts like these? Also any hints on sewing furs would be appreciated. I think I'll start with rabbit fur as it's a little cheaper.

thanks

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post

This book can be purchased at any major bookstore and possibly need to be special ordered if not on shelf.

Best place to find patterns is at a Mountain Man Rendezvous. Second best place is to google "Mountain man fur mitten patterns", selection won't be huge (by any means), but you should find what you are looking for. You may also try Buffalo Chips in Billings, Mt.,they carry hard to find items used for Native American and Mountain Man projects.

I use an industrial sewing machine on such things as leather purses, pillows, scrotum bags, and animal rugs. I hand sew the leather when making buckskin clothing and occasionally use real sinew for the thread. You can purchase artificial sinew. (Not sure how primitive you are heading with this project). I use a half curved glovers needle with a 90 degree bend on the end (used as a handle to push through the leather).

When sewing leather with hair on it you will need to come back after it is sewn together and pick the hair out of the stitches, very small areas at a time, as to not disturb the stitches. Careful not to use anything that will cut the hair. I use a taxidermy tool we call a regulator. A thin diameter awl would work as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your project.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mary, thanks for your input on this forum. We appreciate it a lot!

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary, just the kind of info I was looking for.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
years ago I had a pair of beaver mitts made locally by a person who had a sewing machine that sewed leather. for a pattern I took apart a pair of cheap leather choppers and traced them on paper and then made the tracings slightly bigger to accomodate the lining, plus lengthened them to go up the arm a bit. For the palm of the mitt we used buckskin.
Obviously, everything was sewed inside out.
they came out real nice and were warm as toast for ice fishing. wish I still had them but I was kind of rough with them and rubbed quite a bit of the fur off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never made gloves or mitts,but have made several vests and pretty much do as 22WRF suggests. You can use a pair that fits you and trace a pattern and allow for seams. You only need one pattern as you turn it over and have pattern for the other hand. A vest for example only takes two pieces for the pattern. One piece for one front side--turned over makes the other front and pattern for back.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote