THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Would you be suspicious of a Taxidermist that does not....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you be suspicious of a Taxidermist that does not....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
....want to show you their trophy room?

I recently picked up a mount after getting what I felt was the run-a-round and repeated lies about weather issues. The round trip was about 300 miles. When I got there more excuses about tanery mixups(Why wasn't I told before getting there Mad) and here is the topper,"I'll show you my trophy room the next time you come out here." Likely there will not be a next time. He agreed to ship the hide before friday 11May'12. I will be extremely suprised if I ever see my hide and I am really pissed about that!

Why not show off your trophy room when I come to get my mount? Wouldn't that be a good method of getting repeat business?

'Squatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not if his work sucks!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
From what you mentioned above I would not care what his showroom looked like and would back away and run as fast as I could.

My taxidermist has become a close friend and knows what I want, when I want and at a reasonable cost.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
I'd be leary of a taxidermist that has time to mount his own trophies Big Grin I know I don't.

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
You're in trouble...

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be leary of a taxidermist that has time to mount his own trophies Big Grin I know I don't.

Ha! true, that!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What Max said...that was my own problem; never enough time to mount my own trophies.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hide did not arrive today.

You can bet your(select a body part)I will be doing a DNA test of whatever hide is provided due to the rarity of this particular hide.

If I am told it "just got lost", I am going to be even more put out.

I refuse to accept that it just got lost. I will consider it theft and treat accordingly.

I also refuse to believe tanneries conveniently lose hides all the time.

The taxidermist in question was recommended by the owners of the ranch as he is a guide they commonly use on their property.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i am confused. did the guy do a mount and tan a hide?? if only tanning, why would you drive 300 miles to pick up a hide?? much cheaper to just have it shipped. if he did both, how did the mount look?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both were supposed to be done at the same time.

Shipping is cheap.

However, it would just be way too easy for something to happen out of the blue and my mount get fucked up. Then I would have no one but myself to blame as I had been informed it was ready.

The mount looks great, but the job is not complete. I did not and will not pay the full contracted price until MY hide is in MY posession.

I have heard this excuse way too many times from friends talking about their taxidermists that send hides out for tanning.

Its always somebody elses fault.

Enough already!!

If a tannery can't keep orders seperate and mysteriously loses valuable hides consistantly they do not deserve to be doing business.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
What kind of hide is it?

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Both were supposed to be done at the same time.

Shipping is cheap.

However, it would just be way too easy for something to happen out of the blue and my mount get fucked up. Then I would have no one but myself to blame as I had been informed it was ready.

The mount looks great, but the job is not complete. I did not and will not pay the full contracted price until MY hide is in MY posession.

I have heard this excuse way too many times from friends talking about their taxidermists that send hides out for tanning.

Its always somebody elses fault.

Enough already!!

If a tannery can't keep orders seperate and mysteriously loses valuable hides consistantly they do not deserve to be doing business.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you went to this taxidermist with a chip on your shoulder looking for something to bitch and post complaints about. Some tanneries tan and return the capes and skins that are for mounts first to taxidermists before completing the flat and half hides. You said the mount looks great; and if it was a deer head you that shot last fall you got reasonably good service so far. Some mistakes happen in the fall processing and punch coding hundreds of flat hides in a full time shop. I am sure the taxidermist has no problem waiting for his balance money on the order until your hide returns. My advise, chill out.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sculptor:
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you went to this taxidermist with a chip on your shoulder looking for something to bitch and post complaints about. QUOTE]

Couldn't be further from the truth. This particular shop came highly recommended by from folks I have a great deal of respect for. Animal is an exotic taken in June of last year and due to non-existant workload was promised by the end of the year. It seemed way too fast to me but when I am told,"I'll have it done by...whenever", I generally take people at their word until they prove otherwise.

I also understand that shit happens.

I have in the past worked in machine shops and tool making shops and I know sometimes things just happen. What I always tried to do though was be upfront and honest with my customers. One way of doing this is a courtesy call to let them know we were having issues.

That is my #1 gripe. Not being kept in the loop.

Except for a couple of memorable instances most of my customers were understanding of situations that reared their ugly heads and delayed delivery of product.

Is that too much to ask/expect?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact I wanted to be able to post here how fantastic a job was done and recommend the shop.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
So what kind of hide is it? What animal?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7995 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
quote:
Originally posted by sculptor:
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you went to this taxidermist with a chip on your shoulder looking for something to bitch and post complaints about. QUOTE]

Couldn't be further from the truth. This particular shop came highly recommended by from folks I have a great deal of respect for. Animal is an exotic taken in June of last year and due to non-existant workload was promised by the end of the year. It seemed way too fast to me but when I am told,"I'll have it done by...whenever", I generally take people at their word until they prove otherwise.

I also understand that shit happens.

I have in the past worked in machine shops and tool making shops and I know sometimes things just happen. What I always tried to do though was be upfront and honest with my customers. One way of doing this is a courtesy call to let them know we were having issues.

That is my #1 gripe. Not being keep in the loop.

Except for a couple of memorable instances most of my customers were understanding of situations that reared their ugly heads and delayed delivery of product.

Is that too much to ask/expect?
Thanks for explaining it more. Good luck.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
So what kind of hide is it? What animal?

seems to be a secret bewildered

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll send in PM if anyone else wants to know what kind of critter. I have not yet given up on the artisan in question. However, if I out publically it will be all to easy for him to say FU buddy and I'll for damn sure never see my hide.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the secrecy of the animal in question nor the secrecy in who is in question of "possibly" screwing you.... Everyone beats around the bush, you came on a public forum to start shit only to not actually tell anyone anything...

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rjrtaxidermy:
I don't understand the secrecy of the animal in question nor the secrecy in who is in question of "possibly" screwing you.... Everyone beats around the bush, you came on a public forum to start shit only to not actually tell anyone anything...

From the bottom of my heart GET BENT!

I have told plenty. Those that asked politely have been informed. From the responses received I believe they understand my predicament. So bugger off!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member