THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    problems with European Mounts

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems with European Mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got two skulls, a gemsbock and a warthog, from my Namibia trip in 2008 that I just can't seem to get dried and whitened. The warthog in particular continues to have yellow unbleached areas that are somewhat tacky to the touch. I've tried soaking them in hydrogen peroxide for days on end, a bleach compound from a beauty salon, and even the Cabela's european mounting kit but none of these have made a difference. Has anyone else had this problem and what else can I try to make them white and dry?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is grease. The teeth should be pulled to clean out the nerve cavity, then you need to soak it in something to cut the grease before soaking in peroxide.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acetone works best, but it VERY flammable and toxic to work with, harder to get in large jugs.

I've had luck with coleman's camp fuel( white gas), removing grease from a bear skull that was very yellow with grease. Try and find a 2.5 or 5 gallon pail with a lid, (whichever one fits the skull) and cover with the white gas. put on the lid and let it sit for a few days in a cool place outside or in the garage. The fumes will soften/eat the rubbery seal ring in the lid.
Check it after a few days, the grease will be laying in the bottom of the pail. Let the skull dry in the sun, before it goes in the peroxide.
You can pour off the gas and reuse for the same purpose, just watch the seal on the lid.
I hope you find this useful.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, I'll give these a try.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Place the skull in warm water--not boiling-- on the stove and let in sit in the water w/ dawn soap and it will be degreased in that way and then place it in the whiteing agents. It takes a little time but you want the water warm enought to melt grease....... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
Lacquer thinner for 2 weeks then peroxide

or

1 gal water + 1 cup amonia + 1 cup Dawn dish soap clear + 1/2 cup peroxide 40% heat water to 120 degrees with a bucket heater. this will take a few weeks to months but will work eventually

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote